Demo lesson question?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by texashistory, Aug 2, 2014.

1. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 2, 2014

This may seem dumb but I'm really confused by it and it doesn't seem "clear" to me.

I understand the idea of a demo lesson but how does that work in the summer? Do you just pretend the people interviewing you straight faced are elementary, middle or high school age kids and "act" your way through it?

Or does the school usually keep around or have a summer school/early childhood set of kids already at the school they toss you in a classroom with?

The former seems terrifying to me but the latter I feel I could totally do. Maybe that's just nerves but if it were a demo college lesson I think I could feel confident doing it in front of adults but pretend teaching a kindergarten lesson with no one age 5 in the room is odd for me. I'll do it because I want to be a teacher but I feel I'll drown vs in a room with actual children and the HR people observing. The realism aspect and all.

3. missflower

missflower Rookie

Aug 2, 2014

It varies. My two summer demo lesson experiences were the latter. They pulled a small group summer school and camp/recreation kids. But I have heard of the former happening, too.

4. teachart

teachart Comrade

Aug 2, 2014

Summer school or they bribe kids in with a pizza party.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2014

I've always had a group of kids, usually summer school.

6. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 2, 2014

I've had a variety of experiences....once I had to teach to the interview panel and pretend they were kids. We were in a conference room. It was SUPER awkward. Once they bribed kids with pizza. Another time I taught a summer school class. For demos earlier in the summer, I've taken over someone's class.

I've always found demos to be incredibly awkward and nerve-wracking! Ick.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2014

The only one I ever had to do was right at the end of the school year, and I took over a class that had been bribed (they even filled out surveys on the teachers who did lessons) Worst part was, we were given 20 mins before the lesson to write a plan from a textbook and present it. ARGH

8. hep223

hep223 Companion

Aug 2, 2014

I have a demo lesson scheduled for Aug. 11 and they told me it would be with 2 adults. It seems very awkward to me, but will do the best I can.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2014

This may not be reassuring, but think of it like an evaluation. They will listen to what you say, what you present, and then they may ask for your rationale for the sequence. That's not a bad thing, as long as there is a rationale. Teacher evaluations are similar - they have a copy of the lesson plan, they quietly observe, they ask questions that arise during class, they watch to see if you can think quick on your feet, make corrections if something isn't working, and then ask for your reflection on the lesson in the post observation interview. I always have a feel for what is working, what I could change, and I take those thoughts with me into the interview. Maybe if you think of it like that, you will find it less odd? Good luck.