Demo Lesson Question! Opinions PLEASE!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Kris8806, May 20, 2009.

1. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

May 20, 2009

Hi all!

I have a demo lesson tomorrow morning for third grade for 30 minutes.

I decided to do a multiplication review with Multiplication BINGO. I was going to hand out blank cards and have them fill in the products. I figured that 1-10 multiplication tables would be used. If someone gets bingo very quickly I thought we could keep going until someone fills the whole card.

Do you think that will take 30 minutes? Take longer? Less time? It's for a class of approximately 33-35.

Also - any ideas for a short review I could before hand maybe of the times tables to help fill up time?

Any advice would be great. I'm bringing in all my own materials since I don't know what they have available there.

THANK YOU!!!!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

It's tomorrow, so feel free to disreguard what I say.

But I think they would rather see you TEACH a new concept than play a game.

I'm guessing you already have the cards made up, right?

How about a very simple lesson on Order of Operations? How, when combined in the same problem, multiplication or division come first compared to addition or subtraction.

So in a problem like "2 + 3 x 4" you multiply first, then add, making the answer 14, not 20. You could still do bingo, but make up problems that have the answers on your cards. (Warning: my 3rd grade daughter is just learning division. So I'm not sure how much of that you'll want to include.)

I'm not sure it's 3rd grade, but I'm betting it's a new concept. So you'll be able to teach and interact, instead of just drilling.

Good luck!

4. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

May 20, 2009

Thanks Alice.

I had thought the same that I should teach something rather than play a game but a few friends that I had spoken to had suggested something light that the kids would be comfortable with.

I haven't made up the cards. I was about to run them off on the printer.

My other idea that involved teaching was to reinforce adding and subtracting decimals. I previously taught third grade and I think we did decimals and adding and subtracting them but I don't know how much time was spent on them. So I thought to expand on the idea but starting off with a review (such as having to make sure that the decimals is lined up, etc.) and then giving the kids either menus at a restaurant or a toy store sample catalog page and telling them that they have a certain amount of money (for example $250 or $50) and they can't spend more than they have. So they would have to add up their purchase and determine how much change they'll be getting back. But once again I didn't know if I could fit that all into 30 minutes.

I like the idea of order of operations though and I like that I can still incorporate the bingo cards.

Thanks!