Demo Lesson on Animals

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, Jul 13, 2008.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 13, 2008

Any ideas of a demo lesson I can do about animals? That is the only guideline I have...a lesson on animals for either prek or kindergarten. Just looking to get my creative juices flowing. Thanks!

3. MJH

MJH Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Classifying

At this age level the main concept for a science activity is classifying. Find pictures of animals, toys, and people and base your lesson around how students would classify them accordingly. This could them be put as a center for students to practice. You could as them to choose a catagory and draw a picture and put it in the correct classification.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

Thanks...I got more information today, it has to be a literacy lesson. I am at a loss because these people are not giving me any real details- how long do they want me to teach for? Do I have access to the aide in the room? What is the ESL population? Do they want to see a center rotation? Obviously if the lesson is 20 minutes long, I am not going to be planning for centers. This is my first demo lesson, though I have been teaching this grade level for 2 years now, and I think all these details are what is throwing me. Classifying was a good start...thanks!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2008

How about reading 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you See?" by Eric Carle. Have them 'help' you read the book- it's predictable text...You could send kids off to draw a picture of an animal and color- tell them they can be creative with the colors! Have a fill in line at the bottom:

I see a ______ _________ looking at me.

Encourage the kids to used their invented spelling to write a color word and the name of the animal they drew (You could also have a list of color words with the colors written with appropriate color markers) Circulate while kids are working, keeping on task, reminding of time, helping with stretching out/spelling words.

Gather again- have each child share/'read' their page, you could staple into a book to leave in the classroom or send the pages home with the kids.

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

I had an idea similar to that, czacza. I thought of using the book "From Head to Toe" (also by Eric Carle! popular today). I thought we could read the book, and then I could have them make their own book where they got to pick an animal. I would hand out pages that said "I am ___________ and I can __________." They fill in, or I fill in for them, what animal they picked, and what the animal can do. Then I would put it together and read it to them for a closure activity, and leave it in the room after I left.

That's just a rough outline of what I was thinking...I only have 1 day to get it from here, to an actual lesson. Yikes!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2008

Eric Carle books are great- I think you're on the right track!:angel:

8. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I love Eric Carle's books. You caould also read From Head to Toe and have the kids act out how the animals move.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I did a pre k lesson on ladybugs.. using the book Ten Little Ladybugs....

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 15, 2008

Do you think this is enough of a lesson for a demo? I only have 20 minutes, so I feel like time-wise this is all I have time for. But I am so used to teaching more involved things, because I am coming off June with my little ones, that I feel like it is not enough. I have never done a demo lesson before, it's so stressful! I'm worried about knowing the kids names, esp since 99.9% of my behavioral strategies involve using names. I'm worried about the kids not speaking English and not knowing what's going on...something I face every day in teaching, but with kids I know, which makes it such a different playing field! I'm starting to get nervous...

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 16, 2008

I've used animals to bring in lessons about diversity-- different animals live in different types of homes, eat different types of food, live in different places int he world, but they all need to eat, all need a safe place to live---just like us.