*DEMO LESSON NEXT WEEK* help! ELA, Math and S.S.

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by lvnlife287, May 20, 2011.

1. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

May 20, 2011

I will be teaching 4 different classes. Two will be an entire ELA block (90 minutes), one will be math (60 minutes) and the other will be S.S. (40 minutes).

I know it sounds extreme but let's just say that I need to prove myself to the right people. I am desperate for as much help as possible because two of the lessons will take place at the end of next week.

ELA can be anything related to typical 4th grade reading and writing. S.S. should be related to Immigration/Industrialization and to be honest with you, I have no idea what math should be because I haven't taught it to that grade before. I believe they are doing something with Angles right now.

I was told that these could all be "demo" type lessons so I can do what I like. As you can see though, I have a lot of time to fill up, especially for ELA.

The only guidance I received was to "keep it simple" and set very clear objectives, have ongoing assessment and closure to the lesson.

Any ideas you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

3. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

May 21, 2011

immigration unit for you

This unit is great. I teach it every year. Take the tour of Ellis Island and click on #3 on the map. It is the stairway to the Great Hall, where immigrants were given "medical" tests to see if they were fit enough to enter the country. Show the medical chart and have the kids discuss how we value each other as people. Gets kids thinking about how they treat each other too. there is also a graphing activity for the class but you might not have time to do it.

teacher.scholastic.com/activities/immigration/

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 21, 2011

There is also a reader's theater script for Welcome to Ellis Island that might be nice, especially if the SS and ELA classes are for the same group of students.