Demo Lesson Help! - Cause/Effect in Lit

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BackpocketNJ, Jun 3, 2008.

1. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

Hello everyone,

So I just found out 5 minutes ago I have a demo lesson on Friday. I will be one of 2 people demoing for this job. It's a third grade class of 17 students with a 40 minute time frame.

I had a few lesson plans already made from previous demos and other things but I was assigned a very specific lesson.

Here it goes...

The lesson objective is to have students identify cause and effect relationship in literature. There also has to be a cross-curricular component to it.

I'm thinking of trying to find a read aloud that has social studies content involved that has cause and effect relationships and working around that.

Does anyone have any good books in mind that would work to meet my objective or any other ideas?

Thanks.

3. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

Some of my favorite books with cause and effect are:

Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears
    The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash

All of the If You Give a ______ a _______ books

These all have cause and effect shown as a chain of events. You could connect to social studies by showing them how communities or history also have chains of events. Or connect to science with water or rock cycle as a chain of events.

Another good book is Thunder Cake. This book has a recipe for Thunder Cake in the back. You could make connections to math with fractions, capacity, etc.

4. greyna2

greyna2 Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

One Fine Day by Nonny Hogrogian

5. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Thanks for the replies!

I found a book that I used during my student teaching. The book is called "How Chipmunk Got Tiny Feet: Native American Animal Origin Stories."

The book has a handful of 3-5 page stories such as "How Bat Learned to Fly" and "How Coyote Got Yellow Eyes." Each of the stories have cause and effect sequences and there's usually one overarching cause and effect in the story correlating with the title.

I am going to do one story at the carpet area with the students, modeling how I find the cause and effects in the story and listing them on chart paper. Following that, if time permits and the students seem to grasp this, they will be working in small groups with a second story from the book and identifying the cause and effects on their own with teacher support.

I believe this is cross-curricular with social studies and how the Native Americans explained things they observed in nature through legends.

I hope it fills the principals objectives for this lesson.

BPNJ