Demo Lesson Help- 4th grade- Math

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Jun 30, 2013.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I have a demo lesson on the 10th. I can choose any CCSS standard for math (4th grade). I have 45 minutes. Should I include something like a warm up? I'm big on spiraling.
    I am thinking fractions, area and perimeter, or geometry (angles/triangles).
    ALL of my teaching materials are in NC, so I'm starting from scratch. Plus I've never taught 4th. I'm relying on Pinterest.

Fractions- equivalence
    Fractional Me- too easy?
    Fraction Art- Not sure what the importance would be. Cute, yes. Educational relevance? I'm not sure.
    Equivalence with clothespins. I like this, but I need stuff to go with it.
    Fraction Game

Angles/Triangles-
    Foldable?
    Angle Sorting. I've done this before in 5th.
    (CCSS Goal- Draw points, lines, line segments, rays, angles (right, acute, obtuse), and perpendicular and parallel lines. Identify these in two-dimensional figures.)

Area and perimeter
    Like this. Not sure how to change it to 4th grade...
    Like. Again, not sure how to make 4th grade.
    (CCSS Goal- Apply the area and perimeter formulas for rectangles in real world and mathematical problems. For example, find the width of a rectangular room given the area of the flooring and the length, by viewing the area formula as a multiplication equation with an unknown factor.)

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

Will you be working with real 4th graders or interviewers pretending to be kids?

Ordering fractions (as with the clothespin exercise) with unlike denominators is hard for the kids to get -- especially if they haven't mastered converting denominators yet. You want to choose something they won't all be lost doing. Doing it with like denominators would be more appropriate. I would also have a clothespin with 0 and with 1 (the whole numbers) so that students could realize that fractions lie between 0 and 1.

Just a thought...

Good luck on your demo!!!

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

Having benchmark fractions (such as 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4) would be a great differentiation for the kids who do "get it."

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

I always do a Problem of the Day in fourth as a warm-up. I read it aloud (helps all and spec Ed kids need it), we write a sentence leaving a blank for our answer. The sentence helps focus them on what the problem is about. For the first few months they work in small groups to solve, then solo later on. We share several solutions with the document camera. The kids love it and I use material previously covered, but ratchet up the difficulty. Emphasize writing and showing how you know your answer is correct. Fast finishers can also look for a second strategy.

If I get time I will look at up your sites.

Good luck!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

Assuming they know area and perimeter, I have done a project where they are getting a pet mouse. They have a certain number of inches (24 and 36 work well) of fencing. I give them graph paper and they design play areas using all the fencing. They record the length, width, area and perimeter (all the perimeters should be the same!) and then we discuss which design to pick. Most will eventually settle on the largest area, and then we see that the closer you can get to a square, the larger the area.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

It is real kids- I'm not sure if they are rising 4th graders or rising 5th graders.

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 30, 2013

For a demo lesson, I would go with something you are very comfortable with. If it were me, I would do the angle sorting. You are familiar with it, and it's not too hard of a concept that you risk many students not being able to understand the material. You could also use flexible straws to have them make the various angles. You could incorporate many different learning styles with this standard as well.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

I would do area and perimeter. My 4th graders really struggled with fractions and I would want to do something I know could be successful as a demo lesson.

10. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jun 30, 2013

I agree! For a demo, I would do something I've done before. Trying something totally new can be tough even when you know your students!:cool: I like the angle sorting idea...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

I can't help with curriculum, but here are some general suggestions that I've given the new teachers I've mentored (I know you're not a newbie, though)!

1. Pair-share (shows that everyone is taking an active role in your lesson).
    2. White boards (or sheet protector with a piece of card stock inside). That way, you can scan the class in less than five seconds to see who did/didn't get the right answer.

Not sure if this class will have ELs or not, but we try to get our students talking, participating, and moving around as much as possible.

Good luck! I'm totally rootin' for ya!