Demo lesson advice please?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by amber3721, Jan 17, 2013.

1. amber3721

amber3721 Rookie

Jan 17, 2013

Hi.. So I am new to A to Z teacher stuff and I desperately wanted advice on this question I am asking myself...

SO I have an ASSISTANT teacher position interview on Tuesday. (of course I want to be a teacher but I'm taking what I can get)....
    I talked to the principal over the phone today and he told me very vaguely that he wants me to do a demo lesson for the kindergarten classroom the job is for. By vague, he said it could be whole class or small group, didn't specify. He also said it could be about anything, something that would show my strengths. After that, he was very rushy to get off the phone. I didn't realize till after he hung up that he didn't even tell me how long it had to be. Anyway, I assume its a normal length but my real question is this:

He told me the name of the teacher I would be working with who he described as the "most positive person in the world", so I assume she is nice. I was thinking after seeing her email contact on the school's site if it would be a good idea to email her and ask her what her class was learning currently in either math or literacy so I could gage an idea of what to teach, especially since I've never worked with kindergarteners before (my degree is grades 1-6). I figured it would come off very determined and friendly, a good way to introduce myself as well. But part of me thinks it could come off intrusive or going overboard.

What do you think? Or any thoughts about what would be a good literacy or math lesson to teach in a demo lesson?

3. amber3721

amber3721 Rookie

Jan 17, 2013

Demo lesson advice,Should I email teacher?

Hi.. So I am new to A to Z teacher stuff and I desperately wanted advice on this question I am asking myself...

SO I have an ASSISTANT teacher position interview on Tuesday. (of course I want to be a teacher but I'm taking what I can get)....
    I talked to the principal over the phone today and he told me very vaguely that he wants me to do a demo lesson for the kindergarten classroom the job is for. By vague, he said it could be whole class or small group, didn't specify. He also said it could be about anything, something that would show my strengths. After that, he was very rushy to get off the phone. I didn't realize till after he hung up that he didn't even tell me how long it had to be. Anyway, I assume its a normal length but my real question is this:

He told me the name of the teacher I would be working with who he described as the "most positive person in the world", so I assume she is nice. I was thinking after seeing her email contact on the school's site if it would be a good idea to email her and ask her what her class was learning currently in either math or literacy so I could gage an idea of what to teach, especially since I've never worked with kindergarteners before (my degree is grades 1-6). I figured it would come off very determined and friendly, a good way to introduce myself as well. But part of me thinks it could come off intrusive or going overboard.

What do you think? Or any thoughts about what would be a good literacy or math lesson to teach in a demo lesson?

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

Hi there. Just wanted to give you a heads up that we're asked to only post a question once in whichever forum you feel would be best. Others will likely be removed in an effort to keep things easy to read and follow here. :)

I'm a little unsure about what to do. If done right, I think the email would be fine. Just don't be too wordy and intense. At the same time, feel free to do a lesson which will allow you to shine. Those on the interview team may not even know what's currently being covered, so it may not necessarily help a great deal.

5. amber3721

amber3721 Rookie

Jan 17, 2013

The teacher may be on the interview team and may have a part of me getting hired. But that makes sense, thank you and sorry about the multiple posts. :)

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2013

Oh, then I think I might have to send the email. Best wishes!

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 17, 2013

That's crazy to demo for an aide position! I would plan something small group. Definitely email the teacher.

8. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jan 20, 2013

I like the idea of emailing, but I agree that it should just be kept short. Explain that you'll be teaching a demo lesson and wondered what they were working on in ______ (I'd pick math or literacy beforehand). I think that shows initiative and could set you apart to the teacher and the interview team.