Demo lesson a bust....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by njeledteacher, Jun 12, 2007.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

I just got back from giving a 10 minute demo lesson to 3 teachers and 2 admins. It was a 3rd grade lesson on adjectives, particularly, using sensory details. I had to create a 45 minute lesson plan but teach 10 min. I decided to do something hands on. I gave each person a half lemon to write sensory details on a GO I created. What does it look like, smell like, etc. Well, the principal was making faces and didn't even want to touch the lemon. After they did that I wrote their responses on the board and asked for volunteers to create sentences with the words as a shared writing activity. After I finished the 10 minutes, I was grilled again by everyone. Then, at the end, I had to do a writing sample on inclusion. It was a bit obnoxious. I don't even want to work there now and feel like I wasted my time preparing this lesson and interviewing. Is this a normal interview situation??? Definitely didn't get a good feeling. I guess it's back to square one again.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2007

Oh I am so sorry! Granted, you put your all into this lesson. I do think the principal could have acknowledged your efforts, regardless of whether or not you used a lemon. What did they grill you on after the lesson?

4. Buckeye

Buckeye Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

Was the principal playing the "role" of a child misbehaving and was trying to see how you handled the situation? I have heard of that happening during a sample lesson before.

5. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

Do you think using a lemon was a bad idea? I thought it would be a good multisensory hands on activity to stimulate ajectives. After the lesson they asked about when in the year I would do the lesson, why did I choose a lemon, how would I accomodate lower, higher students, how I would teach reading/writing. Most of the answers were in my lesson...as I provided extensions, modifications, differentiation ideas. THe reading and writing part seemed like a foreign concept to them. They didn't understand independent reading/ conferencing...apparently they don't do it. Also, how would I get students to become more independent. I answered through modeling. I haven't taught third grade, but they were asking me questions as though I had. One teacher even commented during my lesson that she can just picture her students doing this...as in using lemons was a bad idea. Oh well.

6. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

I dont think so because he was hiding his face. It was rather odd.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2007

I like your reasoning behind using the lemon.... but , with anything, I'd avoid things that smell, etc. You never know who you are dealing with..... likes, dislikes, allergies.... so it's always good to stay away from those type of things.

8. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

I thought of that, but in general I don't think people have allergies to lemons. It's just not the right school for me regardless.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2007

I'm glad you were able to reconginze it probably wasn't a good fit. I hope you get many more interviews:)

10. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

Let's hope so for the both of us :)

11. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jun 12, 2007

Sorry about the bad experience. We all have those! I think that using real lemons was great idea for getting students to brainstorm adjectives. Maybe in the classroom I would only use one per a group of students, but otherwise I like you ridea. And I think lemons smell good...sounds like the principal was being a little childish....I still wonder if he was doing it on purpose.

12. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

Who knows...I don't think he touched it because they were told to work in pairs.

13. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 12, 2007

In my opinion, during interviews you AND the administrators are trying to give a best impression. If that was the principal and the teachers at their BEST, just imagine a normal day!!! Be glad it flopped (although I think it's a great idea! You want something that evokes strong sensory responses, and a lemon is great for that)!

14. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

Thanks, I thought it was a good idea too. It was the most awkward interview I've been on, which surpised me becuase I thought the initial interview went really well with just the principal and curric. supervisor.

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2007

nj- Are you sure they didn't like it? I know you say you don't feel like you want to work there, but they may surprise you !

16. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

It was more the one teacher than anything. But the overall feel of the whole thing was odd. Especially the principal. I just didn't feel comfortable. I think maybe they had been drinking beforehand or something...who knows. I just wonder why I had to do another writing sample after the whole thing. I was there for about an hour, and there was another young girl waiting for her turn after mine. They did discuss things before she went in bc I was still there writing about inclusion!

17. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

I came back feeling like I needed a break from the whole interviewing process and that maybe I should be looking for something else. I have had a stiff neck for the past 2 days, and can't bend my head forward.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

I'm sure your lesson went much better than you might think.

Remember that you're interviewing as much for yourself as for them. You should use interviews to help you decide whether they are the right fit for you too. If you get a bad feeling and continue to have that bad feeling throughout your interactions with a particular principal or school, that might be a red flag for you.

Good luck!

19. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

I'm not sure which is worse...dating or interviewing for a job! The only problem is that you need a job, you don't need a man. Well, not all the time at least :)

20. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 13, 2007

I think your lesson idea is very creative, and that the interview team was being a bit rude. You mentioned there was one teacher in specific. I wonder if that teacher is just upset about having to hire someone new. When I interviewed for my first job, I was told after I got the job that one of the team members refused to be part of the interviewing committee because she was so upset that the teacher was retiring and didn't think she could handle being involved in the process to replace him. So, like MissFrizzle said, they may surprise you! Either way, keep your head up and continue to plan creative activities! Someone will surely appreciate it.

21. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2007

I think they were rude, too. It doesn't sound as though that would be a good place to be, if they're going to be that hard on you. You want to be somewhere supportive, 'cause you will surely need it your first year. I think that you picked the perfect lesson, 'cause it sounds like the job would have been a lemon. :) Just forget about it, it wasn't you. I think especially that communicating disapproval "silently" like that but not saying it out loud and giving you a chance to explain your methods was really cruel.

22. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

demo lesson

I'm sorry that the lesson didn't go as well as you would have hoped. I honestly think that trying to teach a 3rd grade lesson to adults would be difficult anyway. For one thing, the ideas are all there in what you want to do and the direction but the reaction of the students and their comments always move the lesson along and certainly add to it! I guess I feed off the students and where it will be going. I would wonder to if the principal was acting like a student who didn't want to be involved. If that is so, he should have made a comment that he might do something like that to you.

In one of my classes about pyschological testing, we had to test our instructor as if she was a student. She asked us what age and grade we wanted her to be. So she came in acting like that. It was quite interesting. In mine, it was a 3rd grade boy I asked for. She hesitated when she came in the door, kept changing the subject during testings, etc. Actually she was quite an annoying little boy!! But I worked through it and she thought I did a great job. Then she asked me what I thought I could do differently too. But she had warned us what I was up against!

23. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

LOL...it sure was a lemon!

24. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

Who knows, it could be. The teacher is retiring by the way. I have a feeling that this woman is very set in her ways.

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2007

Ah yes, sure sounds like stress :(

26. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2007

I can really sympathize with you because I've had interviews like that! As others have said, it may have gone better than you think. When you reply to the group in your thank you note, you could include a thorough critique (reflection) of your lesson including things you would change. Approach it as if the administrators were actually students since I have a feeling that is what they were attempting. If it's not too late, I think that would be impressive.

27. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2007

I haven't sent a note yet, mostly because I really don't want to work there. I guess I should though.

28. Calif_teacher

Calif_teacher Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Hi there,

I know it happens many times. I am sorry that you didn't get the positive feeling there. But you never know they may come up with some good news:). I hope you get many more interviews.

I was wondering what was the writing sample about? Was it a part of your interview? If you don't mind, would you please share your experienece on this?

Thanks in advance.