Demo Lesson (8th grade) Please Help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rhoyalt06, Jun 8, 2011.

1. rhoyalt06

rhoyalt06 Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

I just received an email from a High School principal about doing an interview for a Special Education position and teaching a 10-15 minute demonstration lesson to about 15 8th grade students. I've never had to do this before. Has anyone had to teach a demo lesson before? Any suggestions or insight is appreciated. Are there any subjects or topics that you think would be better to focus on? I was thinking Math or ELA.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

I think that ELA is a bit easier to plan a demo lesson for because you don't need to rely on background knowledge as much as math.

Choose something that you are comfortable teaching that it engaging for the students.

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 8, 2011

I did a math demo lesson once. Before the lesson I asked the topic the students had been working on so that I could get an idea where they were.

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 8, 2011

I have done a demo lesson before, and I chose science, which really wowed them and I got the job, but I had 30-40 min. for the lesson. You have such a short amount of time--math might be good because anything with too much writing will take longer. Some type of quick problem-solving exercise?

6. js15206

js15206 Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

If there is any possible way to integrate technology it is a huge plus. Every interview I have been on so far (lost my job after 10 years) has had a portion dedicated to technology. I actually brought my laptop to my last interview and showed some software, PowerPoints, student-generated videos etc. They loved it! I am now a finalist after 3 rounds.

7. rhoyalt06

rhoyalt06 Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

Thanks for the responses everyone. You have all made valid points for me to think about. I really am planning to integrate technology into my demo because that is one of my strong points. I'm comfortable with teaching pretty much every subject but I think I'm going to go with math.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2011

OK, 8th grade math...

How about mean, median and mode? You could talk about the circumstances under which each would be an appropriate measure and make it humorous. ("Mom, EVERYONE failed"- mode. "Mom" half the class didn't even break 70!"= median....)

How about similar triangles and proportions-- the old "a ladder leans against a building" types of problems? Make sure to note that, while you CAN cross multiply, you can NEVER cross cancel!!! ( So, in 2/5 = x/6, you can NOT cancel the 2 and the 6!!!!)

Remember, it's less about content than about you connecting with the kids. The observers are well aware that it's possible to download a spectacular lesson; they're interested in seeing YOU interact. So be yourself. Be comfortable with the material. Don't be afraid to inject a little humor-- it will get the kids on your side fairly quickly and the observers will pick up on that. Try to call them by name-- you can just ask that they tell their names as they answer andtry to remember, or do name tags. Either way, the effort will be noted.