Demo Lesson - 7th Grade Language Arts/Writing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by blake, Apr 19, 2014.

1. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 19, 2014

Hi everyone!

I've been reading posts on A to Z for quite some time and I finally decided to create an account! I need some help...

I have been teaching for 3 years, all as an elementary teacher. I originally wanted to be a middle school English teacher, but after searching for a year with no luck I was offered a 3rd grade position 40 miles from home and I've been there ever since. This year I applied to teach in the district where I live and went to school. It's a really prestigious district. To my surprise I was contacted by 2 principals within 3 days from this district! The schools are both 5 minutes from my house and sure beats the 80 miles round trip that I drive currently! I received one of the calls this past Wednesday from AP asking if I could come in Thursday (yes, the very next day!) to interview for a 7th grade ELA/Writing position for next year! Of course I said yes, and I went in to the interview on Thursday. I couldn't have asked for the interview to go any better. It was perfect. I walked away with a great feeling. At the end of the interview the principal said don't be surprised if I don't hear anything for a while because state testing is next week on Tuesday and Wednesday. Anyway, I drive home and have just enough time to get out of my interview clothes and I hear my phone ringing an sure enough it's the school! The AP called and said all the administrators were very impressed with me and I did an outstanding job on my interview. She asked me if there was any way I could come in on Thursday and do a sample lesson because they really liked what they heard during the interview. Of course I said yes! I'm so excited!

Now here's my question: Does anyone know of a fun, hands-on way (or at least interactive) to introduce persuasive writing? It has to be on persuasive writing. The demo lesson is for a full class period, which is 50 minutes. I really need it to be engaging considering it will be 7am in the morning and the day after state testing. Any other general tips? It's very new to me since I've only been an elementary teacher. I do plan on having a bell work activity as well as an exit ticket.

Any recommendations or thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks so much! :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2014

I don't have any advice...not my area of expertise...just wanted to send happy thoughts your way!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2014

Tell a story...how you persuaded your parents to get a dog when you were a kid, how your kid persuaded you to buy a video game, how your SO convinced you to go to a specific place on vacation...pick a scenario like this...then elaborate how you or that other person had 3 reasons and details for each reason that were convincing and persuasive....then chart that writers persuade others about: things that are problems, things/places they feel strongly about, concerns....have kids turn and talk...send off to write.

5. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 19, 2014

Thanks so much...I could definetely use those! ;)

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 19, 2014

I wonder if you could bring in some examples of magazine ads as an introduction. Give some to each group, and have them identify things that they find persuasive, and things that aren't. You could also bring in three or four pieces of persuasive writing... have the students identify what makes some better than others, and why.

Another possibility would be to give the kids a controversial subject of some sort... put them in partners, have each partner take a side and write a couple paragraphs, and then have them switch papers and try to improve the other person's argument.

You might also show a couple videos of a speaker making a persuasive argument.

7. 32Flavors

32Flavors Rookie

Apr 20, 2014

When I was student teaching in a 4th grade classroom, I did a few lessons on persuasive writing. For one lesson, I read "The true story of the three little pigs", which is the story of the three little pigs from the wolf's perspective. At the end of the book, the wolf ends up in jail and I had the kids pretend to be his lawyer and write a short persuasive paragraph defending the wolf. Some students were able to share their "defense" with the class. I guess you could also assign some students to be the pigs' lawyer and some to be the wolf's lawyer. Not sure if this book would be too "young" for 7th graders but maybe there are other books that would be more age appropriate for them. Hope this helps!

8. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Apr 20, 2014

I've used a picture book, I Wanna Iguana, to introduce persuasive writing to my 6th graders. As we read, we identified the flaws in the arguments and which were the most convincing. Then my kids wrote me a persuasive letter similar to those in the book about wanting a class pet. I did a short shared write on an anchor chart to help them get started.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2014

No advice just wanted to say good luck!!

10. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 21, 2014

Thank you so much!

11. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 21, 2014

Thanks so much for the responses everyone!

This is what I have so far for my 7th grade ELA/Writing demo lesson on Thursday…let me know what you think.

Bell work – Think about times when you have gotten into an argument with you friends, parents, or anyone else. Do you usually win? Why or why not?
    Students will write answer on their bell work sheet and we will discuss briefly afterwards. (5 minutes)

Lesson – Powerpoint that goes over the three types of persuasive writing: Logos, Ethos, Pathos. It starts off with a short 3 minute video on persuasive techniques (very relevant to Jr. High kids). It then moves on to the persuasive writing process using the OREO method (Opinion, Reason, Evidence/Example, Opinion). There is guided practice where we discuss a controversial issue and then create an OREO paragraph. Finally it ends with instruction for students to write their own OREO persuasive paragraph using the graphic organizer that I will provide. All throughout the presentation I have made slides that check for understanding. I’ve also included two brief partner talks. (20 minutes)

Answer any questions/review directions (2 minutes)

Independent Work – The students will pick a controversial topic out of my jar and that will be their assigned topic. I’ve chosen topics that are relevant to them like “Should students be allowed to use their cell phone during the school day?” and “Should schools have uniforms/standardized dress code?” just to name a couple. They will get an OREO graphic organizer that helps them form their thesis/position and paragraph of their essay. We are just focusing on building one cohesive body paragraph since we don't have time for an entire essay. (15 minutes)

Choose a few students to share their paragraph. (5 minutes)

Exit ticket – I have designed an exit ticket that has four different parts:

1. List the three types of persuasive appeals.

O –
    R –
    E –
    O-

3. OREO helps you build the _____ paragraphs of an essay.
    4. Persuade means__________________________. (3 minutes)

This is all material that will be covered during the lesson. When students turn in their exit ticket I have Oreo’s in individual snack bags to give them. I’ve already checked, and it’s okay to give them food.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2014

Great lesson--I may need to "steal" it!

Good luck!

13. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 21, 2014

Feel free to and thank you! :)

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 21, 2014

This is a great lesson. I would just add a couple of more things, sort of a checklist that the interviewers may be looking for.

1. pick your objective(s): what will the students learn / will be able to do?
    2. Make it clear to them before the lesson (this could be part of your introduction of the lesson) and then make references to them throughout the lesson.
    3. Have a way to measure if they have achieved the learning goals. This could be the exit ticket, a reflection, etc. Just make sure it matches the objectives stated.

A lot of people don't think about this stuff, they focus on having a great lesson, but admins care about this.

Also think about differentiation: do you provide a variety for the learning styles? Visuals? Frontloading vocab, for English learners? Sounds like you already do, just something to consider double checking.

15. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 21, 2014

Thanks so much for the feedback on my lesson! I forgot to mention it, but the second slide of my PowerPoint goes over expectations and the third one goes over the goal of the lesson. And yes, the exit ticket measures the learning goal. Thanks for the front loading vocab suggestion! I will have to add a slide where I go over vocabulary before I start the lesson. I have about 3 words.

Thanks again!

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2014

Awesome lesson! Good luck!

17. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 21, 2014

Thank you!!! ;)

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2014

I wouldn't assign topics. Instead you could have students write something about which they feel passionate, concerned, have strong opinions of which they want to persuade others.

19. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 22, 2014

Thanks. I think that's what I'm going to do. I'll still have the jar though for those few students that can't think of a topic.

20. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 22, 2014

I'm getting a little nervous now...just one more day! Eeek!

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 23, 2014

I would give several choices for topics. I always do this, I found that, even in high school, there are those students who draw a blank when they're supposed to come up with a topic to write about / work with, and there are those who do better when they're given simple directions.
    You don't want to waste your time helping students come up with their topic (and have 10 of them raising their help for individual help), or your lesson to tank because they shut down. You want your lesson to move along nicely.

I would give 4 options, 3 would be different topics and 1 a free choice.

22. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 24, 2014

Hey guys,

It went so well! The kids were really engaged! I had 5 people watching. 2 Admins, 2 Dept Chairs, and a teacher (who classroom I was in). After the bell rang they said the lesson was great and they even asked if they could have a copy of my Powerpoint and worksheets I created because they wanted to use them in their classroom! AP said I did extremely well and she will definitely get in contact with my by the end of the day!

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2014

Yay! Great job!

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2014

YAY!

25. blake

blake Rookie

Apr 24, 2014

AP just called and offered me a job! She said my lesson was the talk of their PLC meeting this afternoon! So excited!

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2014

Excited for you!

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2014

Doing the Happy Dance!!

28. kitkat3

kitkat3 New Member

May 20, 2014

Help~

Hi Blake!
    I was just called to do a 30 min minilesson for a 7th grade reading position. I have been a 1st grade teacher for 11 years and after getting my reading degree have been looking for a change. Is there any way you could email me or post the powerpoint you did for your lesson? I'm quite nervous and would like to blow them out of the water like you apparently did! :)
    Thanks for posting all you did already. It's given me a great jumping off point.
    How is your new role treating you?

29. blake

blake Rookie

May 20, 2014

Hi, send me a private message with your email address. Just hover over my name and click on 'Send Private Message to..."

30. Deezyy

Deezyy New Member

Jun 8, 2014

Hi there... I would also love to take a look at your powerpoint. It would really be useful to get an idea for my demo. Would you be willing to send it to me? Thanks!

31. LShalott

LShalott New Member

Jun 18, 2014

Congratulations on your position! I am also a middle school ELA teacher and have had a few demo lessons with no job for next year. Would you be willing to email me your ppt so I can see what you did right to compare it to what I do wrong on my pots for demos? Thank you!

32. 914NY

914NY New Member

Jul 31, 2014

Congratulations! This sounds like an awesome lesson, would you mind sending me the ppt? Thanks!

33. iteach101

iteach101 New Member

Oct 8, 2014

Hey Blake,

I hope everything is going well for you. I just got called for a demo lesson too and I am really nervous. Your lesson seems awesome, can you please share the powerpoint with me too. I can't private message you cause I am new. Can you please email me at arealtydream@gmail.com

My demo is tomorrow! Thanks! =)

34. iteach101

iteach101 New Member

Oct 8, 2014

arealtydream(at)gmail

35. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Oct 9, 2014

CONGRATS! I am going to "borrow" this idea for my writing assessments! You should put it on TPT! best of luck!

36. egan015

egan015 New Member

Jul 12, 2015

powerpoint

Hi Blake. I have to do a 30 minute demo lesson and was also thinking about doing a persuasive paragraph. Your idea sounds great. Would you be able to send me the PowerPoint?

Thanks!

37. GuitarPoet1

GuitarPoet1 New Member

Jul 31, 2015

Hi Blake, I'm new to this forum. Although your post is older, I am interested in your lesson. I am familiar with the OREO graphic organizer and I like your idea. Currently I am tweaking my first demo lesson and I am interested in your PPT. If there is a way I can view it, I would appreciate it. Thanks again for your ideas, and if you have any new ones, feel free. I am a "seasoned" new be -lol Joanne (GuitarPoet1)