Demo Lesson- 2nd Grade, Shapes and Attributes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by km2611, Aug 11, 2014.

1. km2611

km2611 Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

Hello!

I am going for my second interview round, a demo lesson. Though I will be presenting my lesson to the administration, it is to be created for second graders. The lesson must be on shapes and attributes. The "students" need to understand that the shapes can be divided up into parts. They must have an understanding of vocabulary such as half, half of, third, third of etc. They need to be able to compare parts and understand that equal parts of identical wholes don't necessarily need to be the same shape.

I have some ideas in mind. The lesson is supposed to be 30 minutes long? Does anyone have an really great ideas regarding the subject?

Additionally, the wording on the email said that I would "walk the administrators through the lesson". Does that mean I am literally teaching a lesson? Or just explaining what I would do if I was?

Thank you in advanced!!!

3. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

I have to do one and was given NO framework what so ever. Seems awkward to teach it to adults.

4. km2611

km2611 Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

Yes, it definitely does.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 11, 2014

We don't have our candidates do any kind of demo lesson.

Personally, I'd teach it to 'em as if they're actual students (use think alouds, have them pair-share, etc.)!

6. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 11, 2014

So is your lesson over fractions or shapes? I'm confused. :/ when I think shapes and attributes, I think of faces, edges, vertices, etc.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

Use pattern blocks. A hexagon is a whole. Two trapezoids will cover the hexagon=halves.Parallelgrams are thirds... Etc....
    google 'pattern block fractions'

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2014

You absolutely must use tactile instructions with pattern blocks. And the hard plastic ones would be better than the foam blocks. Ask the 'students' to feel around the outside of the figure. You demonstrate with another piece. Then have them count each side of the figure. Ask them to find each corner and tell them the name is a vertex. Have them trace the outside of the figure. Then have them cover the top face of the figure with two (or more) other pieces. Let them trace them, too. Explain halves (1/2 means 1 out of 2 in all). Name the two smaller figures and find the number of sides and vertices. Adapt these instructions for various beginning figures (you could start with easiest, the square).

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

Not sure I'd be venturing too far into geometry vocab on a fraction lesson.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2014

But it's on shapes and attributes. Sides and vertices is the first step in describing figures.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

I understand where your coming from, however it seemed the op was focusing on 'The "students" need to understand that the shapes can be divided up into parts. They must have an understanding of vocabulary such as half, half of, third, third of etc.'...I'd follw the KiSS principle for a grade 2 lesson demo. One teaching point. The op could share that this lesson could be a follow up to other lessons on attributes of shapes...there's an assumption in any demo...here it's that students know the names of and some basic attributes of polygons. (and yes, teaching sides and vertices is a great early, but separate from fractional parts, lesson for polygons :2cents:)

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2014

Yeah, there is plenty there for more than one lesson, that's for sure. And actual hands-on experience with the figures is so important.

13. km2611

km2611 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014

Thanks so much for all of the advice! I ended up using cut outs of construction paper because that is all that I had on hand. It must have been okay with the administrators because I got called back for a third interview with the super. For this interview I need to create a 7th grade science lesson plan for lld students who are academically on a 4th grade level. Suggestions? Thanks!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

15. km2611

km2611 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014

Thanks!! Do you have any suggestions on how I should adapt for the LLD/ 4th grade level? Just the typical modifications/ accommodations?

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2014

I'm not a sped teacher...maybe try this Pinterest page...I know this teacher is in NJ...she teaches K-4 so if you see a topic that is also covered in grade 7, her pins might lead you to something more in your target of student learning level:

http://www.pinterest.com/silviajost/

17. km2611

km2611 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014

Thanks!!!!!