Degree

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kimmarie1984, Jan 30, 2007.

1. kimmarie1984

kimmarie1984 New Member

Jan 30, 2007

I'm new, but had a question regarding the pay scale. Does anyone know if your Master's degree needs to be in education to receive the additional pay? What if you have your Master's degree in a specific subject area?

3. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Jan 30, 2007

At our school, it's ANY Master's degree for the stipend. You have furthered yourself, educationally.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2007

The masters' degree would have to be in relation to teaching in some matter. An art teacher in my district was seeking a masters degree in some aspect of technology and the district persuaded her to change programs as they did not see a connection between THAT tech program and art (although the art teacher could see the connection)...She found a tech degree program which was more related to her field and that was accepted.

5. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Feb 1, 2007

In addition, our district does not accept credits that are being used to complete an adminstrative degree. Their philsophy is you will recieve your pay bump when you find a position.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Feb 1, 2007

Not here I just set up an interview with a sub for one of my teacher's next year (I am a Dept. Chair) and he has his masters in History and is still recieving the pay bump. However, I would suggest getting your masters in the education of your subject, some colleges do offer this, (I have my MA in History Ed.)

7. kimmarie1984

kimmarie1984 New Member

Feb 2, 2007

What about a Master's in Liberal Studies....would I receive the pay bump if I taught middle school?

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 4, 2007

For ours, it must be something "useful in your field". My MA is in American & British literature, and I teach middle school language arts.