Defining Family

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by gutterballjen, Oct 31, 2010.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Oct 31, 2010

I'm presenting a lesson on Thursday on family diversity, and am having trouble defining a "family." The students and I will discuss how each family is different, and will draw a picture of their family that I'll make into a quilt.

If I define a family as a group of people that are related to each other, they might draw every single aunt, uncle and cousin. While this would be great, there isn't that much space on the paper. Also, that might confuse kids who have a step-family.

If I define it as a group of people that live together, then I feel like I'm excluding the kids whose parents are divorced, or who have siblings that live somewhere else.

Is there another way to explain what a family that I haven't thought about? I want to make sure all types of families are included, but not the entire family tree. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2010

From dictionary.com:
    1.a. a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children, considered as a group, whether dwelling together or not: the traditional family.
    b. a social unit consisting of one or more adults together with the children they care for: a single-parent family.
    2. the children of one person or one couple collectively: We want a large family.

So maybe for kids, that could be translated as 'a family is made up of parents and their children'. Such a definition would cover traditional and non-traditional types of families. It's important to be sensitive to the fact that kids come from all kinds of families-and that their families mean the world to them.

4. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Oct 31, 2010

5. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Nov 1, 2010

I planned on using Families by Ann Morris, but that Todd Parr book blows it out of the water! Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like I need to hit up Barnes and Noble!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2010

Take a look at The Tigger Movie.

Tigger tries, desperately, to find his "family tree." He supposes, of course, that it will contain a group of Tiggers, all looking and acting exactly like him.

What he finds is that family is those people who love you, regardless appearances.

Obviously, my family has used it to illustrate adoption. But I think it also has some implications for step families.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2010

I think that's a wonderful definition!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2010

It probably would have been even better, had I typed "regardless OF appearances!"

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2010

I knew what you meant!

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2010

My daughter has this movie. I love this one!

11. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 1, 2010

Wow my grammar and spelling aren't as bad as they would appear. I'm glad you like the book!

12. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2010

I have a book that defines it "a family is a group of people who love each other."