Defiant two and half year old!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by missbianca, Nov 6, 2010.

1. missbianca

missbianca Rookie

Nov 6, 2010

I have a two and half year old that is just defiant. The "time out/think seat" does not work with him. His attention span is less than a minute and he is always hitting, stomping, and hurting others. I am not sure what to do. He does not respond. I have talked with his parents and they say they are working on the same things at home. What can I do. he is disrupting the class and hurting other students. I have nothing in my bag of tricks that I haven't already used on him. I need your help.
    THANKS!

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 6, 2010

Can you determine why he is hitting? Is he bored? How is his language? Maybe he can not articulate what he needs.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2010

I agree with Blue. The young 3's I've taught usually are hitting because they don't have the words they need to let people know what's going on.

Have you given him the words he needs like, "Please don't hit me."?, etc. It's hard to know what words to give to him. Is something predicating his hitting other children?

5. missbianca

missbianca Rookie

Nov 7, 2010

His vocabulary is not developed. He still uses two word sentences. So, I understand that this is a release of emotion for him. But, not matter what I do nothing helps. He will look right at me after I have given an instruction giggle and do the opposite.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 7, 2010

Remember the basics of toddlers. You have to remind them many times before they can remember it.

Keep telling him, "nice hands," while gently showing him how. I would also use phrases like, "use your words."

Keep repeating, and he will get it. You might have to help him by removing him from the situation.

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2010

-Redirecting seems to work GREAT wonders at this age group. You'll be surprised at how a little/different change of scenery can do to such a child. Meanwhile, talk and explain a lot to him. Repeating things over and over never gets old.
    -Flashcards can keep him occupied for a while. Give him a set of cards with BIG pictures, and laminated, so he won't tear them.
    -A bucket/box and bean bags or ball;soft one, so he can play toss at a safe corner. Some of his buddies might want to join him, so have extra ones.:cool:
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

8. rosew

rosew Companion

Nov 15, 2010

Wow..I have the same child..just starting in my class..the school had to give me an aid on his days because he is so disruptive..today is his first official day...its all me me me..wants to do all the classroom jobs..then if not he screams..its hard because I just got my class in a nice routine...oh well