Defiant Preschooler

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by ZoeMarie, Nov 15, 2016.

1. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Nov 15, 2016

I am a first year teacher. I teach an integrated preschool class. I have one student that is so defiant that it disrupts the class multiple times a day. After about two months of good behavior from this student he began to refuse directions. I don't give a choice and it turns into a battle. I give a choice and it still turns into a battle. He repeats no I don't want to over and over and over again. He will jerk away, hit, or kick me if I try to take his hand to move him. If I try to give him space and disengage he will repeat himself over and over again to disrupt what we are doing, (small/whole group work, helping/talking to another student). He is also inconsistent in what he refuses to do. Some days he does work without a problem. Others he refuses and it quickly turns into a battle. Today he ran from me and the class outside after not getting his way in a game. Sometimes he will hide under tables, in his cubby or lay on the floor. He does not respond to positive reinforcement. It seems to make him very uncomfortable and he will tell me no. For example, today he actually used a calm down tool that I have in the classroom. I told him I was so happy to see him using it. It looked like it was helping him. He said no I'm not over and over until I responded. When he saw his family at the Halloween parade he laid on the ground and refused to participate. I had to carry him in while he kicked me and then my assistant had to bring him back to the classroom. The only thing that helped a little is reviewing the days schedule with him and allowing him to flip each schedule card after we compete it. He still has the same behaviors just less. He is so noncompliant and disruptive that I think that he has ODD like his older brother. How do I help this child? How do I keep the classroom community positive when I have to give this student all my attention for most of the day for him to follow a simple routine he's been doing for two months?

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Nov 20, 2016

What have his parents said about this?

4. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Nov 21, 2016

They see the same behavior (even worse) at home. I offered strategies but they said they were too busy. They are also too busy to potty train him (he is 4 years old and the only child in my class of 3-4 year olds not potty trained). They have admitted to bribing him. They recently started a sticker behavior chart. I asked how it was going over email because the one I implemented isn't working and I never heard back.