Defiant kindergarteners...to the max!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by inspireNteach, Mar 6, 2014.

1. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Mar 6, 2014

I beg of you, help me...PLEASE!

I was assigned to a k class that has a reputation of behavioral problems. I am just a para, so my powers are limited. But what strategies can I use to improve poor behavior? Strategies that are quick, easy, and work?

My students almost instantly fly off the handle when the teacher leaves the room. It's like they don't view me as an authority figure, someone they should listen to.

A few are defiant when I correct them or try to enforce punishment i.e. run and hide when I want them to sit in the corner for two minutes. i.e. acts like they don't hear me when I tell them to stop, be quiet, etc. They will get up and roam around the classroom, run and push in the hallways, the whole nine yards.

Taking away recess seems to be too far in the future for them to care. They don't care enough about stickers to stop their behavior. Yelling is apparently bad to do and only works for a few minutes, anyhow. Jellybeans work, but I feel like I'm a zookeeper tossing food to the seals...

Advice??

3. teach1

teach1 Companion

Mar 8, 2014

First of all - many hugs!!

It sounds like you are correct in thinking that they don't view you as an authority figure. My advice would be to change this ASAP. They should treat you and their classroom teacher the same in terms of behavior / actions.

How do they act when the teacher is in the room? If they are well-behaved with their teacher = they certainly know how to act and are choosing to act differently with you. You need to make it clear to them that you expect nothing but the same respect (I think this rings true for every adult in the building.... if our lunch lady, janitor, secretary, etc. reminds my students to make the right choices, they better listen).

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 8, 2014

Some of this may fall on the classroom teacher. Once a week we have para's that cover our class so the team can do a collaborative planning session and I make it clear to my class that the para is a teacher and should be treated with the same respect as me. I also reprimand my class or reward them based in how they did with the para.

If you don't feel comfortable talking to the teacher for advice and/or getting their support, do you have the option to call parents? What about taking away other privileges that are more immediate than recess.

Like there are certain centers everyone loves (art and computer). Sometimes if a child repeatedly acts up they lose their center time and have to return to their desk with a book.

All kids like to help out the teacher/adults. would the teacher be willing to let you be in charge of assigning and managing student jobs? At way you have something to motivate and encourage good behavior. I might even consider ordering a few things off oriental trading or the dollar store to give out as prizes at the end of the week for those who were able to do their class jobs successfully.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 8, 2014

Ouch! Sorry about the tough situation. First, rewards (which I believe in) are not meant to stop misbehavior. This is when punishment, consequences, and practicing routines work much better. Rewards are used to change behavior. Trying to change behavior without stopping behavior is like trying to put a car in reverse as you are going 50mph forward.

I would suggest 4 things.

1. Practice some routines with them and make it fun and praise the heck out of the students who are doing it correctly. Repeat this so it is clear what you expect.

2. Use the exact same consequences and system the teacher is using. Probably will need to start off being just a bit more strict than the teacher, but as you get successful you can bring it more to her same level.

3. Work with the teacher closely and make sure you have her support and the students know it. You might have to really discuss this with the teacher.

4. Add a few rewards in a way to say thank you for good behavior, but realize it is only a part of your classroom management system.

Good luck to you. :)