defiant and unmotivated kids

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Emerson Squirl, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Oct 10, 2010

I've got a few in my class. The 3 that give me the most trouble consistently tell me they don't want to do the work and throw fits in their own style when I give them the deserved consequence. Most of the time they have to sit in the room during recess while they work on whatever work they tried to excuse themselves from. Every once in a while I feel that their defiance deserves a referral. Nothing really seems to work though. An even greater worry is that these students are also very low AND when they tune me out during instructional time they miss even more. It's my first year and I feel like I spend way too much time disciplining and not enough time instructing. These kids are punishing themselves two-fold and they don't realize it!
    What can I do to turn the situation around?

3. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Oct 10, 2010

Is there something, anything, that they like to do?

I have a little guy who is just like that. He loves to read though, so every time he makes it through an instructional time, he gets a point.
    Those points translate into minutes of reading in a corner without me bothering him. Even if he hasn't gotten many points in the morning, he'll try harder in the afternoon so he can get some alone time. He's averaged 5 points a day... so far, but we just started this past week.
    Do any of them like Computer time, a learning game, a learning center, a math or science center? These might work for them.

4. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Oct 11, 2010

Look into Whole Brain Teaching. It is set up to address the specific issues you are having. Best of all, it is all free!

5. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Oct 14, 2010

As far as I can tell, 2 of the 3 students aren't interested in anything academic. One of them is really low and the other just follows along with the behavior set by his friend. That friend is the 3rd student. He likes to write to his dad since the father doesn't live with the family. Reminding him that he is working towards good behavior so that he earns a postcard has hit and miss results. I'm off track for the next three weeks and I'm hoping to collect my sanity again. Maybe do some reflection on what's working and what's not.

6. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Nov 7, 2010

Some other type of extrinsic reward? I'm not big on extrinsic, but other teachers in your building are more likely to be able to help you based on the culture at your school.