Deep breaths, deep breaths

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 9, 2014

Today was our first inservice. I feel really overwhelmed. :( I knew even before my interview that this district places quite a bit of emphasis on tests scores (who doesn't these days). But it's like after the meeting with our P, it's even more apparent. I keep telling myself it'll be okay. They have a lot of resources that my old district didn't have, so that'll help. It's just unnerving. :( I still need to do my parent letter and procedures. Kids come next Thursday.

3. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 9, 2014

Hi Bella! My heart goes out to you as you are feeling so overwhelmed! Hopefully deep breaths, soothing music and getting items checked off your to do list will help calm your nerves. Keep in mind you first have to begin to work on building a classroom community, get to know your kiddos and the rest will follow once you have set the bar high for your students. I'm sure you and your students will do fine!

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 9, 2014

If the other teachers can work there and do well, I'm sure you can too. :) I hope that they gave you a mentor teacher and/or a grade/level group of teachers to work with this year.

And if that way of leading a school doesn't work for you, you can find a different school environment. I felt like I had to stay at a school in order to pay the bills, but I'm much happier being at a school that I love to teach in.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2014

Emphasis on test scores is pretty common, I think. It's the way schools, principals, teachers, and students are measured. I agree with just taking it one step at a time. Your students will do fine or at least the same as they have been doing before you came. How is the school as far as ranking? If they are up there, you aren't going to damage them and if they aren't you aren't expected to be the savior of the school so relax and find your flow!

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 9, 2014

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. :) I'm feeling better today. I made my to-do list this morning. Something about lists that makes me feel better, lol.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2014

I also make To Do Lists to help me feel better. I also journal pretty often. Maybe there's something calming in writing things down? :hugs: