Decrease in sub. jobs: What's up??!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by merigold78, Mar 9, 2009.

1. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Mar 9, 2009

Hey guys!

I am just curious if anyone has experienced a decrease in sub. work since Christmas. This is my first year of subbing & I started out very strong (thanks to the help of a few fellow teachers :)) back in the fall. I was literally working pretty much everyday. Now I am only working about 3 days/wk. I have no idea what happened, other than the economy stinks & maybe more peeps have signed up??
    What's even more interesting to me is that I now have to fight for jobs! While I used to (sometimes) get multiple calls to work on the same day.....now I find myself getting up at 5:30 to begin looking for work. I just find this very odd considering I'm signed up w/3 school systems & have not ticked anyone off (that I know of)!! In fact, I often have teachers stop me in the hallway to tell me what a great job I'm doing.
    I am hoping that most of this can be tied back to our crappy economy - & not me. Thanks for listening to my vent!

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

The economy does stink but teachers still get sick and still take planned time off. I'm still getting more requests to sub from my core group of teachers than I willing to do. For me two days a week is about right, three is too much like work......:p.... The Major needs at least 5 play days a week (including weekends).

Hopefully things will open up for you........

Major........:)

4. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Mar 9, 2009

interesting - i was looking at the board minutes for one of my districts & could not believe how many people had just gotten signed up to sub.! :( i know a lot of dec. graduates will sign up around this time.....still though, there seemed to be A LOT. it just kind of ticks me off that i worked so hard to establish myself as a great sub....& now i'm getting no calls! Or at least that's what it feels like (I'm obviously getting some calls - ha-ha!).

anybody else experiencing this???

5. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Mar 9, 2009

It may be worse next year, when laid off teachers will be subbing too.

6. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Mar 9, 2009

i will have to look into the assignment assistant thing. i told my hubby i feel like i have to live on my computer to get jobs! :(

7. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 9, 2009

I use AESOP also and you literally have to be right at the computer to accept a job and quick! :dizzy: I have pressed for details of a job and then it is already accepted by someone else (maybe someone using the "cheat" assignmentassistant.com)

8. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 9, 2009

I get most of my assignment assigned directly to me through AESOP or SEMS, however, I do feel like there are less assignments in general. I'd imagine there will be less opportunities next year, if there are fewer classes due to budget cuts. I'm currenty subbing in 2 districts and have my eye on a 3rd, if it ever opens up, that I'd like to apply to.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Mar 9, 2009

I felt like I was in a committed, serious relationship with AESOP when I subbed. I felt I was alway logged in, just waiting for a job...ANY job to pop up. Apparently they have a jobulator or something now that assigns you jobs...I dunno. My ex's sister never had much luck with it.

In my building I've noticed far fewer subs lately. Even our building sub hasn't been working every day. It's closer to testing, so a lot of us try not to be out as much. Also, most PDs are in the fall. Of course there are still sicknesses. I'm taking a sick day to go to the eye doctor and take care of graduate school registration in April. But in general, it does drop off a bit in March. Of course with crapbasket economy, a lot of people are signed up to sub that usually don't.

But since you're so great...I wouldn't worry about. ;)

10. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 9, 2009

You can download Jobulator for Aesop which I use for 2 districts I sub with. I'm in Ohio as well, but I am signed up for 4-5 districts which is kind of spreading myself a little thin.. but it was also the only way I can make sure I get 4-5 days a week. =) I started subbing a lot in one main district, and it's been pretty quiet there recently.

11. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Mar 10, 2009

i am signed up for jobulator, but thanks for the tip :). i just wish i didn't have to feel so tied down to my computer all the time! i keep telling my hubby we need to buy another laptop (ours died) so i can carry/keep it w/me all the time!!

12. azure

azure Companion

Apr 7, 2009

You can't use Jobulator if your district hasn't included it in their AESOP options.

Don't those other things like assignment assistant.com cost a lot? They are not associated with AESOP, so what are they doing, just hacking into AESOP?

13. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Apr 8, 2009

It is not you. I have the same problem.

I have a clear multiple subject credential and have been subbing for 12 years. I work for three districts.

Each of the last three years, I would get home to find 30 messages from my busiest district's subfinder. They needed help almost everyday.
    Yet this same district has called me four times since the end of winter break.
    The other two districts have called me a little less, but not too much less than the last three years.
    It is likely a combination of more subs to compete against, and fewer meetings or in services in order to save districts money.

Some our new competitors are retired teachers who have decided to come back to sub, and it is probable that each school will give their former teachers priority for sub assignments, pushing us further down the priority list.

I have usually worked about 130-135 days by this time of year. This year I have worked 118 out of a possible 144.

14. science teach

science teach New Member

Apr 8, 2009

Right now they are getting ready for state testing so not that many jobs. I could have subbed the last two days. But, didn't want any thing offered. I considered one this morning but I'm not felling a 100% and didn't want to do it.

15. cluv2teach

cluv2teach Rookie

Apr 8, 2009

be thankful that your getting 3 days a week! I only had 3 days for the month on my last check!..and it hasn't improved either! I'm hoping that once spring break is over (this week) it will pick up some!

16. cluv2teach

cluv2teach Rookie

Apr 8, 2009

...I also wanted to add that I'm friends with other subs in my county..they aren't getting any more days than I am.

17. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Apr 8, 2009

This is what is going on with me, too. So my question, and I'm sure it's the same question many of you have, do I stick around subbing when I can, and get my face known around the schools or find a job elsewhere???

18. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 8, 2009

I am lucky to be offered another LT Sub Position today in a preschool class. This will be until the last day of school.

19. cluv2teach

cluv2teach Rookie

Apr 9, 2009

jd123-
    I really don't know what to do at this point. The company my mom works for has openings for an at home typing job that I'm trying to get. It would be ideal..I would still be able to sub. Summer is getting closer though and I will have to find something regardless. I don't think I'm going to sub again in the Fall (if I don't get a teaching job)...I just can't handle staying at home so much. Good luck on whatever you decide! I'm in the same boat!

20. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Apr 9, 2009

Unemployment,budget cuts,increased class size,thus fewer classes,favoritism,retirees coming back to sub.

21. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Apr 9, 2009

....these are a few of my favorite things. :unsure:

22. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Apr 10, 2009

I think it's just the fact that it's getting nicer outside and less of a pain to get up and go to work.