Decorations in Your Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 23, 2010

How do the people on your street/neighborhood decorate at Christmastime? Do you ever feel embarrassed/pressured regarding how you decorate your house?

I'm glad I don't live on a street that goes all out, but at least 1/2 of the homes has some kind of decoration. My house isn't the worst, but doesn't have the most either.
    In a neighborhood not far, people have been known to drive through several streets to check out the Christmas lights, etc.

I never feel pressured, etc. I do what I can & that's that! :)

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 23, 2010

We are the only ones who decorate. My husband loves the lights on the house.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2010

We put our lights around the inside of our living room! I can enjoy them much more in the house!!

In this apartment complex, a few do decorate. But then, I'm also pretty sure I just heard gunshots for the third time this week, so I think our neighbors have other concerns! I'm not going to put up anything that will just get destroyed or stolen!

Growing up, we never did, because a) my mom is a grinch and hates holidays and b) we lived too far back off the street.

I'm sure I'll want to hang lights when we buy a real house in a nice neighborhood!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2010

One of our neighbors has lights on the house and a couple of those inflatable things in the yard. That's it.

A street in Mom's neighborhood goes all out. The line the road with lights, and most of the houses are decorated as well. They have a "white lights only" rule, too. One year a new family put up blue lights . . . and they had to change them to white.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 23, 2010

For the past few years, I have had a little fence and bushes so I put lights around those. Down the road are TONS of houses that are decorated to the MAX.

7. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Dec 24, 2010

We are decorated enough for our small children (and our neighbors' small children) to admire but adults would say - they tried. My dh and I are both afraid - so no lights on our 2 story house!!! We have them on bushes and one partial tree (ran out of time). We also have lighted penguins we got on 75% clearance last year. About half have some on our street but no craziness here. I do love to go look at lights though!!!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2010

"Pressure" doesn't enter into it. I decorate because I get a kick out of al the little components of Christmas, from the Christmas cards to the lights to the Christmas China on the linen tablecloth.

Last year's Christmas decorations were kaput. So, as some of you recall, I got new ones in October. And then I got one more inflatable at my Christmas Gift Exchange early this month, and I was thrilled!!!

Some houses go all out, some don't. Overall it makes the neighborhood look cozy and warm during these dark cold nights.

My house has lights running across all the bushes, and:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Tall-LED-Light-Show-Mulit-Color-Sparkle-Tree/12164867 (my favorite, and a huge hit with the guy across the street-- he LOVES it :) )

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gemmy-Airblown-Inflatable-Penguin-Snowball-Fight-Scene-4-Tall/14825930

and the 4' snowman I got at the party. It looks festive without looking like "Christmas threw up."

Last Saturday night I took the kids for an hour and we rode around town, turning down any block that looked interesting, admiring the lights. We do it every year, and it's a special part of Christmas.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 24, 2010

Not many people on my street decorate. We put up one set of lights and have a wreath on the door. Our Christmas tree is right in front of a big picture window so you can see it from the street.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2010

I love that look!!!

And I would love a wreath. But our house number is on our door, so a wreath would cover it. And that frightens me-- in the event that we ever had to call 911, I would want the house number visible.

One of my many little idiocyncricies.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 24, 2010

Our house number is right on the house NEXT to the door. It was there when we moved in so we just left it but I would like to get bigger numbers.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2010

I'd say that close to 2/3 of the houses on my street have lights or decorations of some sort. There's definitely no competition, but, as Alice said, the neighbourhood looks very welcoming. We have lights along the eves and on the bushes in front of the house. I usually have a wreath on the front door, but that's one of the things that just didn't happen this year.

(The first couple of years we lived here, we had our tree in the living room window but then moved it into the kitchen/family room. It can be seen from the front door and we can enjoy it all day.)

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 24, 2010

I am the last house on a dead end private road, but I have a lighted wreath on the fence at the end of the driveway and a small lighted tree outside the door. Our tree is in the sun room which faces the water, so those that are year round residents see it. Only one other house on our street has outside lights. I love driving around to see all the decorations, one of the pluses of working the after school program is coming home in the dark and seeing the houses light up.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 24, 2010

I would hope not either for anyone, but you know how some neighbors can be...the competitive types who try to outdo each other, even year-round. The whole keeping up w/ the Joneses bit, such as, "Mr. Davis next door got a Mercedes, we'll get a Porsche."

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 24, 2010

I don't live in a neighborhood, but in this four mile stretch of road (seven homes including ours), there are exactly zero lights. On the main road, though, there is a lovely house a retired teacher owns and he creates a picture-perfect scene of simply white lights and red velvet bows.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 24, 2010

Yes, quite often, simplicity is best.

17. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 24, 2010

There aren't many who decorated on our street this year, We did our usual,ice cycle lights on the roof line, Christmas village in the bay window, Christmas tree in the lving room window. lighted garland and red bows on the railing. It won't win any contests but we like it. :)