Decorations ideas for classroom

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teacher36, Dec 3, 2009.

1. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Dec 3, 2009

Hi guys. How do you decorate the classroom for the holidays? (children made craft ideas). Thanks.

3. missnaebay

missnaebay Rookie

Dec 3, 2009

my kids do:
    1. christmas chains, (they write their names on a chain and a christmas wish for their family and we link them up, and hang them from the ceilings)
    2. Stockings (I make the cutout and they cut it out and decorate)
    3. Gingerbread houses (we make in class)
    4. Gingerbread ppl (this is a take home project i send it home and they bring it back all pretty and decorated)
    5. menorahs (made out of lifesavers and candles)
    6. a train(polar express) with "Dear Santa" wishes on them all arround the class.
    7. sooooo many other things.
    I usually do the holidays when they are around but this year we are going to take a plane trip around the world, with passports, so we are learining about sooo many holidays around the world.

Ending the holiday unit with the polar express train ride...

4. missnaebay

missnaebay Rookie

Dec 3, 2009

what do you do?

5. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Dec 3, 2009

I'm a public pre-k in a private school so I can't do anything religious. The children make gingerbread boys/girls for the bulletin board, we make snowflakes to hang from the ceiling, we make wreaths to hang around the room. It's more like a winter theme than a holiday theme. I'm looking for something a little more exciting though. This year, all of my children celebrate Christmas, so I may be able to do something Christmas related (I like your Christmas chains idea).

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 3, 2009

this year my class has done a "colors of Christmas" paper chain --each child make one and we strung them together and hung from the ceilingin the hallway, we colored our Dec portfolio cover page (Christmas candle) and hung those on the bulletin board in the classroom, we made stoking cutouts that they colored and cjut out and I wrote their names on with glue and glitter. I turned our hallway bulletin board into a fireplace mural and we hung them across the mantle. I traced each child's hands five times and they cut them out and I put them all around a circle cutout and made a class wreath that we hung over the fireplace (I traced my hands with my fingers closed for the bow). Other projects we are doing include doing a manger scene on one wall in the hallway, color by number gingerbread men, colored paper cutouts of Chritmas lights that they will write their names on with glue and glitter that we will string up, stained glass ornaments made with tissue paper and clear contact paper, 3-d balls made from old Christmas cards, angels, stars, etc. Not sure if I'm putting up a tree this year or not.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2009

ONe thing I do every year:

I dowload a holiday coloring page, then put it on to my projector. I tape some brown butcher paper onto the wall and trace the coloring page.

Then my whole homeroom gets together and colors a Christmas scene!

Yeah, I know, they're teenagers and too old for that stuff. Yet I always get a crowd of kids to join in... a few minutes of peace in a hectic season. And it always looks incredibly great!

8. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Dec 4, 2009

WOW! You need to to lead a workshop on time management!! How do you get it all in?? Are you half day or full day? I only meet 2 1/2 hours a day and we have 20 min outdoor recess and 15 min snack in there (not to mention 10 min arrival/unpack and another 15 min to pack up at the end of the day) So I only have 1 1/2 hours a day to get things done! How do I fit it all in?????

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 5, 2009

"WOW! You need to to lead a workshop on time management!! How do you get it all in?? Are you half day or full day? I only meet 2 1/2 hours a day and we have 20 min outdoor recess and 15 min snack in there (not to mention 10 min arrival/unpack and another 15 min to pack up at the end of the day) So I only have 1 1/2 hours a day to get things done! How do I fit it all in?????"

I keep my class hopping. We don't have a lot of down time --but they all come in before 8 and curriculum time starts at 9 so they have plenty of free time. We didn't do it all on the same day. We do one project each day. My curriculum time runs 9-12. My daily schedule goes like this:
    6:00-7:30 Arrival and free play together with the other preschool and kindergarten classes (the cneter opens at 6 and there are only two staff there due to ratios, then staff staggers in at 1/2 hour intravals til 9)

7:30 - I some in and pick up the children in my class from the kindergarten room and take them to my room. They free play and have open centers until 8:50 then we clean up and get ready to start our curriculum time.

9-9:30 circle (we do calendar,attendance, weather, ? of the day, Days of School,, letter and number of the week and talk about our theme for the week, sometimes read a book)
    9:30-10:00 Skill Practice (letter or number writing, sorting, cutting whatever the skill of the day is)

10:-10:30 snack

10:30 -11:00 project (letter or theme depending on the day of the week. we do letter projects T, TH and theme projects M and F, math specific projects on W)

11:00- 11:30 is center time or designated table choice time--often some of this time is used to finish up project

11:30 - 12;00 is outside/gross motor time

12:00-12:45 lunch (this include coming in and getting washed up and bathroom runs)

12:45-1:00 on mats listening to story tape

1:00 -3:00 nap

3-3:30 wake up put things away and bathroom run

3:30 -4 snack

4:00- 6:00 free play/gross motor/outside/going home

T and Th mornings at 9 we have Bible so everything gets pushed back and times are shortened a bit to accomadate, We ususally get outside around 11:45 instead of 11:30 and stay out til about 12:10.

for the month of Dec we take a break from regular curriculum to practice for our Christmas concert and do Christmas theme projects. I include projects that help to reinforce the skills they've been working on up til Dec. Like with the stockings they had to color them cut them out and write their name on them. then I traced their name with glue and we sprinkled glitter on it. The colors of Christmas paper chains project involved them sorting the colored strips and then making two piles in the same color order according to the poem, then gluing them together in a chain. OUr name in lights was a color sorting and pattern order project and I wrote their names in glue and glitter with one letter per light bulb (centeredint he string of lights as close as I could). We will get back into our regular curriculum after the first of the year.

10. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Dec 6, 2009

You have a very long day. I'm exhausted after my 2 1/2 hours. Most times I wish my days with them were longer so I could fit more in, but I was thinking maybe an hour more. You must be wiped out by the time you get home!!

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 7, 2009

I work from 7:30 to 12:30 and then my assistant takes over for the rest of the day. Occassionally I stay until 4:30. It is a long day, but I accomplish so much prep on those days while they are napping that sometimes it's a blessing

12. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Dec 12, 2009

What a great idea! :thumb: