Decoration ideas

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by watermelon0719, Mar 22, 2006.

1. watermelon0719

watermelon0719 Rookie

Mar 22, 2006

Hi! My classroom is pretty old-looking, and I am trying to spice it up a little bit. :) We have a very basic, sterile wooden cabinet with cubby holes that I wanted to make into a group project, so the whole class (6-9 kiddos) could help decorate it. I was thinking maybe something with sponges and tempera paint? We have a whole bunch of kitchen sink type sponges. Can anyone think of a cool way for the kids to decorate the cabinets? I am not real artsy, so I'm kind of drawing a blank here. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks so much! :)
    Sandy

3. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Mar 23, 2006

If you have any books that have been, err, loved to death, you could let them glue them on with glue sticks... And then you could mod-podge and varnish over them. I'm going to be doing this with some of our older furniture over the summer. The old, falling-apart books won't be hard for me to come by, though- we get donations almost every day, and most of them are junk.

4. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Mar 23, 2006

That is a GREAT idea! another good idea may be basically do the same thing that lainie was talking about with the books. Have them create a huge collage out of educational materials....be it books, pictures, handouts, maybe even a few rulers, pencils or even old art work from past classes...make it into a collage of ALL things used in your classroom... I have seen this done before and it looked AWESOME!!! and it was fairly easy for the students to do and enjoy afterwards.

5. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Mar 23, 2006

How about making the kids handprints in primary colors all over it. Do one childs hand at a time. LOL or you'll have a big mess. You could do feet. I love the book Idea though. I also love books. One way I use my old books that are torn up. I make letters for my BB that has to do with reading. I have one now. "Spring into Reading" I traced the letters onto colorful pages with lots of words and cut them out. To make them stand Out I put a solid spring color letter behind it. They look nice.

6. smiles_of_three

smiles_of_three Rookie

Mar 29, 2006

The hand print thing is what I was thinking too! It reminds you of all those hand prints that usually get washed away at the end of the day, but that those are there to stay! The children would love to hear that story too!