Decorating!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

So I officially picked up the keys to our new place yesterday. It is ours to do with what we wish. We have permission to paint, and paint we will!

I took pictures of all the rooms-it's basically a blank slate at the moment. I'd love any decorating feedback. If you go to the link, look at the left hand side of the screen for the 'albums'-each album is a different room. I'll write notes below with some of my thoughts, but I'm totally open to suggestions!

Bathroom-not a lot you can do with this. The tile is hideous, but apart from painting it, I think we're just stuck with a pink bathroom.

Dining Room-the picture of the green table settings is what we have at the moment. Instead of the brown wood table, we're going to have the slate top table that is in one of the pictures. We have a 'nature' theme kind of going through the area, so it's green like leaves and grass. ;) We need to do something with the walls-paint color?-and it def. needs a new light fixture. I'm going back and forth between a chandelier or this light from Ikea. I'm also thinking of maybe asking a friend to do some custom art for us of woodland creatures.

Entry-we have darling greeting cards that I need to frame from a friend-one says 'Hello Friends' and the other says 'Happy Trails'. I'd like to get a rug and maybe put some paint there for warmth? We have two hooks that are iron to hang our bags on (we both carry messenger bags) and we have a key hook that is also iron and looks like an antique skeleton key.

Guest Room-This will be my favorite room, I'm sure. I may even make this the master. But for right now, it's the guest room. I want it black and white. The art is what we're ordering from our French artist. I want a black four poster bed with white guaze curtains, maybe a black rug (any ideas?), a black long dresser with a mirror and I would LOVE a cool chandelier in here. I'd also like vases with roses in them-maybe silk so they are cheaper?-but what vases? Milk glass? Black? Maybe white guaze curtains? And, of course, my wedding dress in the corner.

Kitchen-no ideas for in here. Total blank slate. I'd love to do a retro look-maybe black and white with splashes of deep red, but we have nothing to start with. ALL ideas are welcome.

Living room-We desperately need a new couch, and we're leaning towards brown-a chaise lounger on one side and maybe a huge armchair to go with it. Like, you could fit two people in huge. ;) We have that white shelf with the owls, our favorite branch, and that's it. Oh-we have brown curtains. We need to paint-maybe tan? We need a rug-ideas? A cool piece of art for over the fireplace. Something for the side wall-maybe the buffet that we have? It tends to collect clutter.... We also need an entertainment center.

Master bedroom-Our current bedspread is a pretty yellow with white embroidery. I have white and brass lanterns we can hang with candles in them, and we also have that whole set of yellow stone candle holders you can see in one of the pictures-lots of candles. ;) It might be cool to put a fainting couch in here, or an armchair-the room is quite large. I'd love to get a sleigh bed, but that will prob. have to wait. We need a rug. Do we paint the walls? What color? I don't even know if I'm sold on yellow. I use to always think I'd have a red bedroom-our other bedspread is red and off white from Pottery Barn, but I just got this one... opinions welcome.

Patio-the name of the game out here is copper. I got a copper clock to hang on the wall, and copper string lights to hang from the overhanging latice. There is a copper fire pit on clearance at Smith and Hawkin, but dh isn't sold yet.... we have a teak table we just got with a matching teak sofa, but no chairs. There are teak garden bars also at Smith and Hawkin on clearance... but again, dh isn't sold. Ideas are welcome here as well. We should have a doormat, too.

The garage is all Sprout. It's going to be BEAUTIFUL. I'll post pictures when it's done, but our shelves are gorgeous, our art for it is beautiful, etc. I can't wait.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2009

I have no doubt it will be very cool! Can't wait for updates. :)

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 5, 2009

The patio is adorable. The whole house is very charming.

For the bathroom...I think you should take the existing art-deco pink tile and run with it! Make it glam!

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

Jem, we had that same color pink in a bathroom. We found some wonderful pinkish floor tile, and a counter top that was pink and white, just enough to accent the pink fixtures. I will look for it and send you a link. The old pink is so hard to work with, but by being patient, you can make it work.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2009

If you want to tone down the pink, you could go with brown towels and accessories.

7. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 5, 2009

Can't wait for you to get to work and show us all the improvements/additions! :)

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 5, 2009

One of my friends had a pink bathroom. The tiles were pink & white, and they had a pink tub, toilet, and sink. The room had navy wallpaper with huge pink flowers. It was enough to make a person physically step back when they first saw it.

They ended up using chocolate brown with the pink, and it looked great.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

I love all the natural lighting, to me if you have light you can work miracles, the place is beautiful and after you add your touches it will be home.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2009

I love brown and pink together.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

Jem, the place is wonderful. I got interrupted while studying your photos. I think you have made a wise decision, and will be very happy in this house. I sent you a PM regarding your address.

What fun you will have decorating this place--and no smoke from the downstairs neighbor!!

12. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 5, 2009

Our last place had pink tile (up the wall too) with a blue tub and toilet! We found a cute colorful striped show curtain. I played up the colors!

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

GREAT ideas about the pink! Thanks so much, guys!

Any ideas for paint in the yellow bedroom? I think yellow on the walls would be too much, but if we do tan in the dining room/living room, I'm afraid it's going to be too much tan in the bedroom.

Dh and I were saying at dinner that if we owned the place, we would love to do a cool black and white paisley wallpaper on an accent wall in the guest room to make it REALLY dramatic, but that's obviously not possible with a 2 year timeline here.

All other ideas are welcome! Blue, I pm'd you back!

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2009

I really wanted to do a soft yellow for my house, but we went with a soft peach color instead and I LOVE it. It's so pretty and it'll go well with any accessories and styles.

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2009

I loved a bedroom with light yellow walls. It was like waking up to a sunny morning every day - put me in a good mood.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 6, 2009

Hmmmm... I've been shopping for a black chandelier for the guest room. What do you guys think of this one from eBay? The price is def. right, which makes me wonder what's wrong with it. ;)

There is also this one-a bit more expensive, but it looks larger... maybe larger isn't good?

17. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2009

It is hard to tell but I think it depends on the size of the room. They would both go well with the art you showed us earlier.

18. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

19. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 8, 2009

Have you thought about black & white stripes or polka dots using paint since wall paper isn't possible?

I used three colors of paint to make an accent wall in my office. I used magnetic paint to make a bulletin board, but I could see stripes or polka dots, too.

Our master bedroom is black & white. We have hardwood floors, walnut-stained pine furniture, and eveything else is black & white.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2009

I love both the chandeliers!

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 8, 2009

I like the second one better. If you're going with a chandelier, you might as well go big. The first one looks a little skimpy to me.

How tall are the ceilings?

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 8, 2009

I think the smaller one would be beautiful over a tub or in a reading nook...