Decorating your room - where do you print and laminate?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsJay, Jul 10, 2014.

1. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

I have lots of things I need printed and laminated for my classroom. Where do you guys usually print?

I really don't want to print at home because my printer goes through ink like crazy and it's expensive.
    I called Staples and they quoted me really high prices for printing and laminating.

Do you print at stores and then laminate at school?

What's the cheapest most effective way for me to do this?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 10, 2014

Print and laminate at school (if that's available).

Once, I printed/laminated something at Staples (I was a new teacher and very anxious about getting things done) and it was super expensive! Never again!

4. MrsJay

MrsJay Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

Hopefully, I have a color printer at school. I only had a B&W printer in my last classroom.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 10, 2014

I'm certain the office staff will have a color printer. Sweet talk them and I'm sure they'll let you use it!

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 10, 2014

I started another thread on color printing a few days ago because I was wondering about this too.

If the school doesn't pay for it, I just don't print or laminate. I've always had a laminator at the schools I've been at, but never a color printer. So, I usually print in black and white and then put the materials on a piece of construction paper or make signs with markers myself. I think laminating at Staples is like $1.99 for a single 8.5x11 sheet.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2014

My school in NC did not have a color copier or printer. I would print at home for simple things, at Staples for more color-rich items.

Every school I've ever worked in had a laminator. I also bought my own small laminator that I LOVE!!!!

I would never pay Staples' prices for laminating!!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2014

Also, an FYI- if you want to print on cardstock at Staples, bring your own! Color printing on cardstock is 99 cents at Staples. It is only 49 cents if you bring your own cardstock!

9. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 10, 2014

I always print and laminate at school. We are given one black and white and one color each year. The down side is we only get one. We used to have a teacher resource room at the board that cost very little, but is was closed due to the budget. I also go to the local teacher store for laminating. The prices are not bad if I'm in a crunch.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 10, 2014

I do all of this the of thing at school. If I couldn't do it there, it wouldn't get done. I do spend some of my money for classroom items, but that wouldn't include printing and laminating.

11. SweetSKP

SweetSKP Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

If you have a Mardel's near you it's .25 a foot to laminate. I usually do this because school laminator is either busy or out of film. I bought a small laminator at Target for $20. It's for copy paper-sized items.

12. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

It depends on what I need to laminate or print out. If I'm at work, I print everything there. Otherwise, I print at home, but only as a last resort. I have a personal laminator so if it's 8.5 x 11, I'll just laminate it at home. If it's larger, I do it at school, but always have to wait several days since one person is in charge of all the laminating. I would only go to a business to do either of these things if it was an absolute emergency.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 11, 2014

I do all of this at school.

Someone at your school must have a colour printer - make friends with them :). Ours was hidden in the office for a while but we all had access to it. Now we have 2 colour printers accessible to teachers.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2014

I print and laminate at school. We don't have color printers/copiers - definitely NOT allowed to us the one in the office, instead of wanting things in colored ink, I use colored paper. Ink is was to expensive for me to print at home.

We also have one lady who does the laminating - no one else is allowed to use the machine. After she ruined a couple of my things, I started waiting until she left and snuck in to do it.

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2014

My school only has one color printer and I wouldn't have access to a printer in the summer. I always use my printer at home. Ink tends to get a little expensive, but most of what I print in color would be printed in the summer so it's a one time a year thing really. I'd rather pay for the ink and have the convenience. I have my own lamination machine as well. For larger items I laminate at Lakeshore.

16. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jul 11, 2014

I have a small laminator that works well for most items. I bought it with grant money - excellent investment.The school has a large laminator that works well. I also use sheet protectors for some items in order to save money and cut down on non-recyclable items.
    I print in color at school and home. That happens rarely. I wish there were an easier way to print. The ink is expensive and going into a store isn't much cheaper.

17. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 11, 2014

If I don't want to use my ink at home I upload my files to Office Max. I haven't been outraged at any high prices. Don't forget when you plan on printing from any office supply store you check what options you have for printing. If you don't need the fancy schmancy gloss laser paper uncheck that option. I use my personal laminator constantly for small projects. Larger items like posters I laminate at school.

18. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jul 18, 2014

You can buy personal laminators on Amazon for around $30. I'm curious if this (plus buying the laminating pouches) would be chapter in the long run.

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 18, 2014

I print my color stuff at home. Yes, it's expensive. I limit what I print in color and try to do more B&W on colored paper/cardstock. I only had access to a color printer my first year of teaching.

Most of my lamination is small, so I use my personal laminator. BEST purchase ever. The lamination is SO much nicer than a regular laminator.

For big stuff, I will do it at school...sometimes. At my former school, we weren't allowed to laminate ourselves. The TA who did it would run it through too fast and it would peel. So, I usually brought things I really cared about to Lakeshore. Lakeshore doesn't charge much for lamination if you are in their teacher's club. However, Lakeshore is probably not nationwide. (It's a teacher store).

20. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 18, 2014

We don't have any color printers at school. We keep requesting one from the PTA, but they claim that the upkeep (buying ink) would be too costly. I don't often print in color, but when I do I print at home and laminate everything at school.

21. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2014

Print at Staples and laminate at home with a $25.00 laminator I bought at Target.