Decorating your door

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gpsysngbrd, Sep 1, 2013.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Sep 1, 2013

So at my new school we are all "required" to decorate our doors each month. Thats on top of two bulletin boards and oh yeah - teach 11 4 year olds. How do you get it done??? Do you do it after school? I'm seeing pictures on Pintrest and I'm so overwhelmed! There are some SERIOUSLY talented teachers out there!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2013

Get one of those die cut pads each month...you know the ones...pages shaped and decorated to look like leaves, frogs, owls, snowflakes....put the kids name, or have them write, or kids head shot on each...put up with some related words...I wouldn't put too much time into it...showcase the kids work on your BBs.

4. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Sep 1, 2013

I totally agree with Czacza. It's totally worth it to me to spend the few bucks on the pre-cut pieces. Slap their names on them and be done. :)

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 1, 2013

Sometimes it's best to ignore Pinterest...too overwhelming! I, too, don't know where they find the time!

I like the die cut ideas. Something that always makes everything look adorable and doesn't take much time is using photographs of the kids! You could have them pose with objects/props/costume pieces to create a seasonal display.

As a side note, I'm always surprised by the door displays I see online. We're not allowed to hang a single thing on our doors. It's against fire code or something.

6. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 2, 2013

I decorate my door either before school (I usually get there 45 minutes before my kids) or after. Sometimes, like for winter, ill go all out and make a big snowman or snowflake door that takes a lot of work, but in general I do what the other posters said. I have a 3m hook that I put in the middle and each month I change out a theme/season appropriate wreath or sign. I either buy cute cut-outs from the teacher supply store or I just cut them out myself, put the kids names on them, and its done. One thing you can do us laminate the cut outs you use so that you can wipe off the names when you're done and use them again next year.

7. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Sep 2, 2013

yellowdaisies - good idea but not as easy as you might think. My director has this thing about there is only one camera for the whole building and its kept in the office. And she doesn't want them downloaded and printed. She gets actual prints made at Walgreens. Big waste of money if you ask me! At my old center every classroom had their own camera.

8. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Sep 2, 2013

That's another thing. Die cuts. Would help if we had a due cut machine. Nope we're supposed to use bulletin board letters that are already around and if they aren't the right color, trace and cut!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2013

You can buy cheap die cuts or decorated pads at the teacher store. And I'd use the letters they have even if they aren't the right color. If your admin is going to make it hard for you, use what they give you, make it easy. You've been given good suggestions here.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 2, 2013

Sometimes I put my student's work on the door (like a small craft) so it's not really a lot of extra work. Do you NEED words on the door? I don't think I've ever seen people put words on a door. That is what bulletin boards are for.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2013

Good point. Keep it simple.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 2, 2013

If the door just has to be "decorated" then no "information" (using words) is really needed. I actually thought about putting some catchy saying on my door then thought why bother? Just make it cute and inviting (anything made by 4 year olds is probably cute anyway).

13. carlea

carlea Comrade

Sep 2, 2013

Due to fire codes, we are not allowed to have ANYTHING on our doors, windows, or hang from the ceiling. We are only allowed to cover 25% of our total wall space with paper - material is not allowed. The fire marshal comes through our classrooms a couple of times a year. I feel like my room is so boring and institutional.

But I used to put student work on the door and use it like another bulletin board.

14. Cobalt_Waves

Cobalt_Waves Rookie

Sep 3, 2013

That just isn't right, unless they are paying for the supplies.