decorating vent

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Learner4Life, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 19, 2012

MY HUSBAND IS DRIVING ME CRAZY! We started remodeling our home... just a little bit. We took out a window and put in a sliding glass door and then put a deck outside of that sliding glass door. Now we have to paint the area where the old door was. I also want to paint the kitchen.

The ENTIRE process I've heard "I can't picture it" from my husband and he's vetoed the majority of my design ideas because he can't "picture it." I CAN'T STAND IT!!!:dizzy: I know brains work differently (duh, we work with this everyday) but if he can't picture it, I really need him to trust me and go with it!:angel:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2012

He can't picture the paint color? If that's the case, then paint is easy! Get the samples that you like, paint small sections near the door and then see which one he prefers.

This is one reason why I'm glad that my hubs 1) isn't around right now to veto anything, and 2) tells me to do whatever I want when it comes to decorating.

Good luck!

4. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 19, 2012

I feel your pain! Our remodel is getting ready to begin, Monday in fact. It will entail completely gutting the front room to the studs and then redoing it with new wiring, walls, ceiling, flooring, yada yada.

I kept a metal sign out of the boxes b/c I want to use the colors for the final room decor. He asked about it, so I explained. Then I asked him why the funny look. He said he didn't like red. :( I only want to use it as an accent color. It's not like I'm going to paint all 4 walls red!!

Sorry that the men in our lives sometimes can't 'picture' it....

5. Sunflower883

Sunflower883 Rookie

Jul 19, 2012

Same here. When I tell my husband my plans of what I want to do with the house he never seems to picture it or like it. So, I mostly do the work by myself during the summer time and when he comes home he's pleasantly surprised most of the times and ends up agreeing with me.

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2012

"What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate"
    it IS a left brain right brain thing
    As we know men and women think differently
    Much like giving directions
    Like naming tools many times I hear "that pointy thing" from females which could be one of many tools, most males will say, "an awl," "a screwdriver" or "a drill bit."

Have you drawn a picture of your Ideas?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2012

Buy one of those small sample size containers of the paint color you like...it should cover several square feet and give your dh a better idea than a paint chip.
    If he still can't envision it, buy the paint and do it yourself. A gallon of good quality a doesn't cost too much and you an easily paint over if it doesn't work out.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2012

I'm one of those who can't picture it until I see it. I just need the visual.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

Things like that are always stressful. I soooo feel your pain. We have been stressed out from this move (including the fact that we fixed up the house-painting and what not). I don't think our ideas have thus far clashed, but the stress was making us a little snappy. It's just normal. Good luck in your renovation!

10. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 19, 2012

Thanks guys! Things got a little tense today but we worked it out. We decided that he got to choose the outside colors and I'll choose the kitchen colors. We also agreed that if I got it done and he hated it, I would repaint.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2012

Well, hopefully, he'll lighten up soon & trust your instincts & vision. Hopefully if it doesn't look as good as you thought, he's not the type to blame forever.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

Blame forever? It's a can of paint!

13. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 20, 2012

I feel your pain as well. When we bought our house, it was a great deal because it was so destroyed. We had to do quite a bit of remodeling to make it liveable to the standard we wanted. Lots of parts of walls needed to be replaced, all needed painted, had to replace all the carpet and we replaced the floor in the kitchen/dining room, and in the laundry room, had to replace the front and back doors.... probably some more. My husband and I, though we think in very similar ways, had a hard time agreeing about HOW to accomplish it all. We did well on agreeing on the final outcome, just not so well on how to get there. Hang in there!! Draw it out for him, as IrishDave suggests, or just go for it yourself like the others suggest. What is the worst that could happen?

14. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 20, 2012

In the past, I've done it without "permission" and he's always been fine with it... unfortunately, the last time I re-arranged the bedroom, Hubs came home late and literally tripped over the bed. He made me promise that I would tell him if I was going to make any changes to the house from then on.
    When I told him I wanted to paint the kitchen, he said it was our house and he wanted to be in on the decision.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 22, 2012

I am also having a bit of a dilemma. We have two major projects we have been talking about - replacing our wood burning stove, and having the whirlpool/garden tub in our bathroom removed. We decided to do one this summer and one next summer. My husband really wanted the stove first so I agreed with the understanding that he would pick out the replacement and find the people to do it. Bet you can guess what is next - he hasn't even begun the process and my summer days when I can be home are almost over. Next time, my project goes first!