Decorating themes for fourth grade

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by iteachm123, Jul 9, 2013.

1. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

I am so excited to be back in my own classroom again! I accepted a fourth grade position as an ELA teacher and since I haven't taught fourth since 2010, I need to rethink my overall theme. I'm thinking about going with an owl theme and would like some feedback and suggestions. Thanks!

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jul 9, 2013

Owls are very en vogue right now. I'm sure you could find a ton of ideas on Pinterest.

4. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

So do you think Owls would work for intermediate grades? I'm finding great ideas on Pinterest for an owl theme but mainly see them for primary.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  5. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 9, 2013

Hello fellow fourth-grade teacher! :)

I have an ongoing monkey theme and my students like it... I don't think that's too primary.

Although it's been said here on these forums that one should be careful with monkeys because some cultures find it offensive (just wanted to give that disclaimer). :)

I look forward to reading what you come up with!

6. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 9, 2013

I am a new teacher and am going to teach fifth grade, I love owls, but my son and his friend (who is a girl) both told me separately that they were for first grade or kindergarten. They are going into 6th grade.

So I dug around pinterest looking for a cool (and inexpensive) idea and came up with games.
    - I am doing a rules board playing with cards as the border and the rules on giant aces with "Play your Cards Right"
    - I am going to put an old twister board in the hallway with "Step off on the right foot in fifth grade" and foot shapes with all my class names
    - Gonna post Homeworkopoly with monopoly money as border and use it
    - Word Wall or writing area I am going to do something with scrabble letters.
    - I am going to get a checker board tablecloth for the back of a bulletin board and going to put "Check our work!" a

Eventually I am going to make milk crate covers that look like dice for casual seating....

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 9, 2013

I like your theme idea...a good one for Grade 5. :)

Also consider incorporating some video game "stuff". Possible idea:

A poster "Every game has rules" where you can post your classroom rules. Maybe have a drawing/picture of a video game controller at the bottom. "Remember - you're in control of you!"

8. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 9, 2013

A lot of people are going with color schemes or patterns like polka dots, chevron, etc.

9. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 10, 2013

I love this! Thanks!

10. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 10, 2013

Wow, I never would've thought owls were too young for 4th grade! Guess I am wrong! The games theme is a neat idea.

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 10, 2013

I personally think it depends on the class and the teacher. Fourth-graders are still kids. They love goofy, fun stuff. You place some cool-looking shades on some of the owls and have them come up with some of the fun sayings "Whoooo rocks fourth grade?!"; "Feather or not, here we come!" and the kids will love it.

You make the theme fun, they'll enjoy it as well.

12. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 10, 2013

I have an owl theme with my students. I have the same owl border on all of my boards and then I cut out owl shapes with my Cricket machine. I also have owl pots for plants in the windows and other little owl things around the room. I think it all depends on what type of owls you use. My kids seemed to like the owls and were always commenting on them.

This is the border I'm using this year. I wanted something a bit more colorful than I had used last year.

This is the border that I used last year. I then used brown/green as my color scheme with some orange here and there.

13. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

I am starting the year using a beach theme! Eventually it changes just to the colors blue, teal and some lime green.

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 4, 2013

My theme for last year was "Learning is Fun and Games!" The 4th graders loved it.

15. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 4, 2013

Matt 633 and RainStorm: great classroom themes!

16. msmandee2014

msmandee2014 New Member

Jun 14, 2014

I've thought about incorporating my school's colors for my classroom theme. Would this be a good idea?

17. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 28, 2014

So thankful for this thread as I wondering the same, moving from 2nd to 4th. I believe I am going the dodge the idea of an all-encompassing theme but add some things here and there to make the room welcome.

I want to do something like a tree to track the children's AR goals (or percent) where they move up the tree once they have a certain number of AR points. We shall see!:)

18. TXTeacherW

TXTeacherW Rookie

Feb 14, 2015

My room is not really themed, but I do love it. It's just colorful, and since I personally love giraffes and The Beatles, I find ways to incorporate that. The cool thing is when it comes gift time, students know they can get me something giraffe or Beatles related and I'll love it. I've also been able to transfer my childhood giraffes into my classroom.

I thought about doing certain themes (and I love the Owl idea!) I was just worried about getting tired of it after a while... I think it would be cute, though.