Decorating Outside Hallway

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by mochateacher, May 12, 2008.

1. mochateacher

mochateacher Rookie

May 12, 2008

Hello,

I'm going to be a new third grade teacher next year and I'm looking for ideas for decorating the wall next to my classroom door. I've seen many teachers use a picture of a school house and apples with the students names. I would like to have the students names, but don't want to use the apples them. I have purchased stars to write the students names on, but I'm short on ideas for a catchy welcome that involves stars (i.e. "The stars of room___" ). Any ideas?

3. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

May 12, 2008

I think you should do a hollywood theme, use your stars and put them on the bulletin board, take pictures of the kids when school starts and put them up as the stars of the room. Your door could have a holywood theme too. I am doing one like that. I am doing it for when I am going to meet the paretns and my bulletin board is going to have "now showing...." and the events that are going to be happening. I don't knwo if that makes sense but I am just doing the holywood theme. I am also putting stars on the floor. like the hollywood walk of fame :)

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 12, 2008

If you are only planning on leaving it up a few weeks, you could do shooting stars and do a night sky with something like Look who's shooting into 3rd grade with Ms. AtoZ.

Or you could do Reaching for the Stars in Room 222

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

May 12, 2008

I made up a crossword puzzle online and enlarged it on the copier. I made a key. The crossword puzzle had each child's name in it and little facts about them (I do a home visit, but you could make a phone call to introduce yourself to each family and talk to the parents and the kids.) I also put a picture of each child up.

I got the idea on here and it turned out really cute. Last year I made little paper t-shirts and hung them up on string with mini-clothes pins. Another idea from this site.

Both ideas were so CUTE! Thanks A-Z!

6. mochateacher

mochateacher Rookie

May 12, 2008

These ideas are so great! Thanks so much for your suggestions. Looks like I have a few to choose from now :)

~Paula~

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 12, 2008

Paula,
    I like the Hollywood theme idea. Be aware that if you use apples or stars that NINETY percent of the new teachers in my building use apples or stars. They often even have the same bulletin board sets -- which looks funny if they are on the same grade level.

That's why personalizing it -- like with the Hollywood theme or something -- is so important.

I always make mine from scratch -- but I'm a computer person so I enjoy it. I know on our grade level, two teachers had one "welcome" bulletin board sets, and the other two had also had the identical bulletin board sets. They had to draw straws to see who would return theirs and get something else.

I did a "movie" theme one year -- used film outlines for each picture, had movie reels and and "clapper" that I got at a novelty store. I had popcorn boxes as well. It really looked nice.

I'm sure whatever you do will look spectacular.

8. mochateacher

mochateacher Rookie

May 13, 2008

I'm really leaning heavily towards the hollywood theme. I like the idea of adding popcorn and may even try to expand on that with the theme a little more.

I'm really excited about meeting my new team and hope to discuss what they are planning to do for bulletin boards outside of their classrooms.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2008

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2008

Shoot-I just realized that the popcorn pattern isn't working right now. Sorry-of all links not to work. I'll have it up tomorrow.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 14, 2008

Ok, it's back up on the site. You can easily type students' names into the popcorn pieces.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

Last year, three out of four of us had frog themes...it was kind of funny. All of them were different though. :)

13. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

May 14, 2008

Every September, I always do "This Year Looks So Bright, We Gotta Wear Shades!" (from the 80's song).I take a picture of every child wearing bright colored shades (they always look so young and cute in Sept.) and then I put them on huge stars with their writing of what they want to learn this year.
    I always get lots of compliments on this board.

14. mochateacher

mochateacher Rookie

May 16, 2008

Jem: I really like the popcorn pattern. Thinking that I can do the movie popcorn theme as my bulletin welcoming them to the class..."Look Who Has "Popped" into Third Grade..."

Youngteacher226: Really like the Shades idea too...and I loved the song in the 80's :)

15. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 23, 2008

i love these ideas, they are so cute! i bookmarked your site, thanks for the link!

16. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

May 26, 2008

Okay, Jem, I have your site bookmarked. Initially I thought it was a site offered by a company but after further investigation--viola!! Sometimes I wish I could create my own site I just wouldn't know how to get started!!