Decorating ideas...again! Bear with me...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kcjo13, Aug 10, 2009.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 10, 2009

I know we always have a lot of classroom decorating idea threads, but I'm starting another one. I'm stuck!

I am obviously doing a space theme, and I want something fresh...new...exciting...something different! I teach 6th, so it has to appeal to older kids. I have a difficult room, not a lot of wall space to put stuff up against. Everything has to be out in the middle of the room (cabinets on 2 walls, boards on the 3rd).

Here's what I have so far...

My computer stations are going to be Mission Control. I would like to spice them up a little, and make it seem like the real MOCR.

I am going to attempt to build a scale model of an orbiter. We'll see how this goes. I have had a model airplane hanging from my ceiling for a couple of years, but I think I'll change it out with a shuttle.

I need bb themes-more than "reach for the stars" or "Mrs. J's shooting stars" etc. Something 6th graders will say..."wow, that's cool!"

In short, I'm not really sure what I want...I just know I want it to be cool!

3. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Sounds great :) My Aunt did a space theme for many years in her classrooms. Keep in mind, hers was 2nd and 3rd grade level, but if you IM me your email address I will email her and ask for some ideas that she used that may work with your class and send them to you :) I also teach space camp over the summer and I know one thing that appeals to this age (5th and 6th grade) is when we teach them the NATO alphabet.

4. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 10, 2009

My 8th grade team did a huge class trip a couple of years ago to Johnson Space Center and one of the running themes for NASA that the kids liked is "Failure is not an option." NASA even sells posters with this phrase.

Another phrase (which I thought was a little cheesy) was "shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

We also named groups after various space missions. There are also mission patches for each and every mission that could be used as decor.

5. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 10, 2009

KcJo, I've got a space theme going (Space Camp just gets you, doesn't it? :D) I bought several of the inflatables at the gift shop (you can shop there online, too) and used those in the room (shuttle, astronauts, etc). I created a communication spot and made it look like MOCR (head phone, etc). I found some great starfield fabric to on the back of my bulletin board (AR, they get the astronaut cutout, they decorate it and move from ship to ship trying to reach the moon). We do teams, and my teams are all named Space Camp teams. We do Mission Patches each six weeks. I don't know if any of that will help or not! :)

8. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

Here's the email my aunt sent me back:

Tell her to go to the NASA web site and download the Educational materials on line. There are a lot of ideas there. I made my whole room into a shuttle with Mission Control at the front of the room, Brig for time-out, Galley for the sink area, Head for bathroom, then had science, math, communications, and a few other areas all named with NASA language.

The first day I did a simulated launch putting down chairs and making them lie on their backs and not move for 10 minutes and explained that the astronauts would be lying inside the shuttle for about 5-7 hours, strapped in and not moving! We launched then spent the year on board a working space station. The kids had a team meeting each morning and we worked out problems that arose within the classroom, just like the astronauts do on board the station when no one else can get to them to help. Here's the site to go to. Check off the areas of interest and all sorts of information will come up!!

http://search.nasa.gov/search/edFilterSearch.jsp?empty=true