decorating classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by lovinteach, Aug 10, 2005.

1. lovinteach

lovinteach Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

Just curious, do you put alot of things up on your walls in your classroom at the beginning of school, or do you slowly add as the school year progresses??

I was just up at school getting my classroom ready and I realized that my walls seem a little more bare than usual. I did rearrange things and seem to have more wall space then previously. I do add as the school year progresses - subject specific posters, student work. I just hope things are not too bare. It just seems as though some of the other teachers in my building have their walls covered with posters like it is wall paper. That would just drive me nuts. I did have several teachers say that my room look very nice. Maybe I am overreacting - this happens to me every year at the beginning of the school year. I just want things to be perfect!! :eek:

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 10, 2005

I do both. I will change things out several times throughout the year.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2005

I have no bare walls but I don't have a mishmash of posters up. I hate that. I also place everything parallel to the floor line, not diagonal or off-kilter. Keeps it neater looking. I change some of the stuff throughout the year to go along with units in different subjects. I will leave the basics about 5th grade social studies themes up all year (American history). I like to really use my posters in lessons. Otherwise, they just ignore them. A cozy room that isn't chaotic appeals to me. Everyone likes something different, though, so go with your instinct.

5. NewToFifthGrade

NewToFifthGrade Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

I am just starting for the first time and wanted to know if I NEED A THEME IN MY 5TH GRADE CLASSROOM? If so, any ideas?

6. NCP

NCP Comrade

Aug 10, 2005

I usually designate an area for my calendar area (second grade), a place for my reading tips, a writing bulliten board, a word wall, and a science/social studies area. I try to have some things up for back to school, but find that I mostly add during the school year. I try to change things up so that they don't become a "background" for the kids. My word wall obviously is an adding place, as well as the area for student work. I am sure your room looks great. I wouldn't worry too much!

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2005

Dear NewtoFifthGrade,
    I teach 4th and I do not use a theme. I like to think that I go for the eclectic look!

8. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

I do a variety. There are certain posters that remain up all year - calendar, character ed posters, birthday chart, fire drill directions, etc. Then I change the subject area posters through the year to reflect what we are currently studying. I also like to leave room for student work too. Though with no bulletin boards in or outside my class, or tack strips, this will be more of a challenge. I do like to have places for the kids to rest their eyes so they are not overwhelmed with too much business, if you know what I mean.

9. Poolbear2

Poolbear2 Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

setting up the room

Let's see... I usually start with the basics, calendar, jobs, data center, alphabet, some cute sayings, numberline, a poster of our finger signs for bathroom, tissue, drink, and question.... then as we get going I add before, during, and after reading strategies, dismissal procedures, goldilocks strategy for choosing books, science and math posters... Oh yea super cute... I print out all my kids names using Word in big bubble letters and have it on their desks when they come in. I let them color it any way they'd like and then at the end of the day I tape them on colored paper and laminate them and stick them up on the wall for the year! - Very cute a bunch of my grades teachers do this now! Double check with your team to see if there is a limit on the amount of wall covering you can have some principals only let you put things on boards others dont care some say only 20% of walls can be covered b/c of fire code. Let me know if you need anything else this is my 3rd year in 2nd grade! Good Luck!

10. lovinteach

lovinteach Rookie

Aug 11, 2005

Thank you for your replies. I think I over reacted a little last night. I am beginning to get a little stressed out. This happens to me at the beginning of every school year. I went down to school this morning, and I think things look great. I think I needed a fresh look. I don't like for the walls to be completely covered. I am planning on adding some things from the students on the first day and I don't want to have to take down other things to get student work up. It is just kind of hard because open house is Sunday and the first day of school is Wednesday.

As far as I know, there is no rule for how much of my walls can be covered. I have been there for 4 years and no one has said anything. I don't think there is one because many of the other teachers have posters hanging from ceiling to floor. That would drive my brain nuts!! :D

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 11, 2005

It really depends on your preference. Some of our 5th grade teachers do, some don't. It might also depend on what type of school your at. If it's an elementary school, I would go for it (if you're up to it). If you're at a Middle School, personally I wouldn't. Ask other teachers at your school what they do. They can have some really good insight.

12. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Aug 11, 2005

One thing I have noticed is the fact that some teachers have TOO much on their walls. I feel that if there is too much to look at then it may distract the students in the class. Plus in my school I am unable to use tape or other materials on the bare walls, they would like me to use the bulletin boards in the classroom. Anyone else agree?

13. leslye

leslye Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

kdunker,

I certainly agree. In my district, we're not allowed to clutter our walls. They require certain things to be posted, like community guidelines, "The Eight Smarts", and lifeskills. We are also not allowed to use a lot of bright colors. We can only use "earth" colors, such as blues, browns, greens, and whites so I have a lot of blue on my bulletin boards. For me, I like to use my bulletin boards strictly for displaying student work. Plus, everything posted has to relate to the curriculum, no "cutesy" stuff. A lot of the experienced teachers hate it especially in the lower grades, but being a 2nd-year teacher, I don't mind it 'cause I don't know any different!

14. SonHouse

SonHouse New Member

Aug 12, 2005

Everyone at my elementary school decorates their rooms with the basic things, bb sets, classroom rules, etc. Also, we display all of our student's seasonal work in the halls outside each classroom.

This site has some good book reviews that may have some ideas:
    http://ebiz.netopia.com/skyepub/bookreviews/

Also they have a free classroom timer available for download:
    http://ebiz.netopia.com/skyepub/classroomtimer/

Good luck and have a great year everyone.

15. ~Darlene~

~Darlene~ Rookie

Aug 12, 2005

I can't seem to find how to make the timer work, I keep getting a pop-up egrader that wants me to purchase. Help please!

16. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 12, 2005

I just wanted to say that I decorate every wall. Sometimes I wonder if it is "too much" or if I am stimulating the students too much, but I like it - and the students really like all the color. :) I'll post some pictures next week when my room is done. I usually decorate one of the bulletin boards so I can put student work up. It works out well. I guess, do whatever you feel comfortable with. Some people decorate thier classrooms as much as I do, some don't. It's all personal preference. Good Luck!

[​IMG]

17. SonHouse

SonHouse New Member

Aug 13, 2005

Darlene, the menu for the program has two buttons, one for the timer and one for the other program, just click on the timer button and it should work without getting the popup and is free regardless.