Decorating a 9th Grade World History Room

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by 9thWH, Jul 30, 2013.

1. 9thWH

9thWH Rookie

Jul 30, 2013

I just received my first History job. Last year was my first year teaching, but I taught as an Interim English teacher. I just received the call that I will be teaching 9th Grade World History at a 4a school also coaching football and baseball. I need some ideas on decorating the room. Right now the walls are bare. Teachers start the 5th and we have two weeks of planning before the students come in.

3. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 30, 2013

Congrats on your job! :) Sounds like that could be a pretty fascinating subject to teach.

Just some ideas off the top of my head:
    1. A world map (obviously) - that's a must. Maybe get as large a world map as possible. This serves a couple of purposes - one, it allows for you to use colored string, etc. to show routes, points of interest, etc. Two, more visible to students. Three, it takes up more wall space and thereby helps you feel like you don't have to fill up every inch of wall space. :)

2. Maybe a bulletin board dedicated to headlines pertaining to the world. Should you choose to ask students to provide the current events (yes, I realize you're teaching world history, but quite often, you can tie in current events to world history), you'll have a space to display their headlines and/or assignments that pertain to them. :)
    3. A globe. Another essential (if you ask me).
    4. Not sure how expensive/realistic this would be, but getting some artwork (even if you're printing high-resolution images off the Internet) from various world cultures, may intrigue the "artists" who will be among your students and be their hook.
    5. Last, but certainly not least - create an area that is completely blank and where the students can help you decide what you should put there...this will help develop a sense of "our class" rather than "teacher's class". :)

Best of luck... I hope you'll share photos when you're done!

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 30, 2013

I definitely agree with the map idea. I refer to my large wall map probably more than anything else when I'm teaching. My other posters are content related (e.g. great events of the 20th century, themes in history, etc.), but I don't refer to them nearly as often. Social Studies School Service (http://www.socialstudies.com) has a large selection. I have gotten most of mine from there or from local teacher stores.

5. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 30, 2013

I also teach 9th grade World History (although mine is just 1500-present). I use postersrevolution.com like crazy for artwork. It's the cheapest I've found for prints like Mona Lisa, Rosie the Riveter, etc. I have tons of posters in my room.

I have 3 world maps as well. One large one that I refer to, but also a couple with different views of the globe. My students really struggled to find places if I flipped the map upside down, or put Asia in the center, so I try to show those as well.

6. 9thWH

9thWH Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Thanks. If I'm not mistaken the class I will be teaching is 1500s to present also. I have thought about doing a timeline around the room and adding posters of major events and leaving space in between and adding student work to fill in the time. But can't decide on what frames I want to do and then if I choose to do this then the walls will be bare until I assign work for the students. I'm stuck

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 31, 2013

I teach English and Psych ... my room is decorated mainly with KU Jayhawk stuff.

8. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 31, 2013

I like this! But, I teach multiple subject areas. However, my room mostly decorated with history things...lots of WW2.

9. 9thWH

9thWH Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

I am struggling buying posters. I like way to many and can't seem to find a patten. I am mostly finding myself liking war posters, a mlk quote, jfk quote, and mostly war propaganda posters. Also where is a good place to buy? I looked at posterrevolution like someone said but read tons of bad reviews on this company.

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 31, 2013

I'm the one who mentioned that site. I've never read the reviews, but I've purchased from them 8-10 separate times over the last year and have never had the slightest hiccup.

11. 9thWH

9thWH Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Ok thanks. I picked out tons on that site that I wanted. I might go ahead and order from them. How long does it take to get posters usually? Also how is the quality of the posters?

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2013

Don't go overboard on store-bought posters. A handful will be enough, especially if you supplement with student work.

13. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Aug 1, 2013

Shipping usually takes about a week. Sometimes they come in more than one shipment. I found the quality to be very high and most of them are quite large (I was surprised at how large my Mona Lisa and my VJ-Day Kiss poster were for $3) but a few are on the smaller side, so you just have to read carefully.

I think the size of your room and the wall space would dictate how many to get, despite suggestions. Personally, I love my art. This year I had 21 maps and posters on my walls and due to the size and layout, it still looked uncluttered. And that was not counting the bulletin board dedicated to student work.