Decoding/Reading Strategies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dizzybri14, Mar 24, 2008.

1. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Mar 24, 2008

Ok I know that I've seen these somewhere but for the life of me can't remember where... I am looking for the characters used to remember the reading strategies. I know one of them is a frog or kangaroo (can't remember) for skip the word and read the rest of the sentence, but I know there are more! Anyone have any idea?
    :help:

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 24, 2008

Are you talking about the snake, frog, kangaroo, and monkey? Or something else?

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 24, 2008

Never heard of characters to represent the different strategies. Please tell me more!

I do have a couple songs related to that. Dr. Jean has the song Tools of Good Readers and Jack Hartmann has the song Hop Over It.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 24, 2008

Well there are

Sammy the Sound-it-out snake--he comes out when you need to sound out the beginning, middle or end

Skip-it the frog
    who skips over words he doesn't know and hops to the end

Cluey the Kangaroo Detective who basically asks "does this makes sense?"

and finally there is Chunky Monkey, yep you guessed it. He looks for chunks or known words within a word like "carpet" or "drainage"

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2008

Interesting.... and how are these characters used?

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 24, 2008

Peachy,

There is really not a lot to it if this is what the OP was talking about. You can use stuffed animals like beanie babies or even webkinz (if they have a snake).

You would have a special day where you introduce these characters and what they do to your class. You can go through several words or sentences to demonstrate, calling kids up to help. Each character is an expert in what they do and the kids will learn that.

During guided reading you say things like what would Sammy do? So then they try sounding out, if it doesn't work they think of Skip it, Chunky Monkey or Cluey. It's pretty much using normal reading strategies but presenting them in a way kids will remember. It is kind of funny because as you are doing GR, or any kind of partner reading, you will hear a student hint to another "chunky monkey" in sort of that sing song voice to help the child out.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 24, 2008

I think I have the ones you want! I will find the link for you.

9. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 24, 2008

Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about and my kids LOVE THEM! Unfortunately, though, the last time I went there, much of the site was down and she was trying to build it back up. http://aschilb.emsd37.org/reading/ReadingSTR.htm

10. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 24, 2008

Here is what used to be on the above site:
    Eagle eye (look at the picturess for clues)
    Stretchy snake (Stretch out the sounds in the word)
    Skippy Frog (Skip the word, Finish the sentence. Hop back and read the sentence again.)
    Lips the fish Get your lips ready for the first sound
    Cunky Monkey Find chunkns in the word
    Tryin' Lion Try a word that might make sense in the sentence
    Flippy Dolphin Flip the vowel sound
    Helpful Kangaroo Ask someone for help

I hope the site comes back up soon - she gives tips on how to introduce each "trick"

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 24, 2008

Thanks everyone! These will be helpful for my kiddos to start using. I wish I knew these tricks when I was in school!

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 24, 2008

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 24, 2008

14. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Mar 25, 2008

Thank you everyone! Those are exactly what I was looking for! :) I wish those sites were up and running though... I am using them for one of our remediation stations that we are doing in a few weeks, maybe the sites will be back up by then. :thanks:

15. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 25, 2008

These are so neat.. I am taking teaching reading in Elm school and Reading Remediation right now and these are going to come in so handy... You guys are GREAT!!!

16. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2008

I actually use these in my classroom and they have worked great!! I did the whole bulletin board with the beanie babies after I introduced each one of them along with the reading strategies. My kids use the bookmarks and I have the posters displayed. If anyone wants me to email them the bookmarks, posters etc. from my computer, please feel free to send me a PM.

17. MsVee

MsVee Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

Wow, what a great system! I've never heard of the animals before, but I'm looking forward to trying this with my lower-grade students. :)

18. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2008

This website even has the comprehension strategies!!! Great idea!!! And animals are animals that the kids like which helps them to remember the strategies and use them. It has animals like "Spinner the Spider" to teach making connections. It has "Questioning Owl" to remember to ask yourself questions while you read.

19. deeno

deeno Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

Thanks also, I love it and will use it also.
    Deeno

20. denise

denise Rookie

Apr 12, 2008

I have some very low students and some ESL kids this year who still need help with decoding strategies.
    I introduced the animals to them and was suprised how much they liked them! We even made up actions to go with each one! and i have grade 4's!!!
    i was expecting them to roll their eyes and say that it was too babyish! but they loved it
    i made up bookmarks that have the strategies on them and they use them for their take home readers.

thanks for the great idea

21. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2008

Wow! I've never heard of them before. I LOVE them!!!

Looking forward to the website being back up so I can get more stuff and the comprehension ones.

Thanks for the links!

22. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

May 4, 2008

23. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

May 4, 2008

Beanie Baby Strategies

I saved them to my computer this summer and I am glad I did-I have not used them yet but will definitely use them next year once I get the beanies I am not sure to add an attachment-any novices out there that knows how please let me know.
    thanks

24. kinder2

kinder2 New Member

Jun 3, 2008

I would love to have a copy of the bookmarks, posters etc for reading strategies and comprehension using the beanie babies. Thank you so very much...

25. storyh

storyh Companion

Jun 3, 2008

I may be teacing reading next year in 3rd grade. Could I use this with struggling readers or would it be to babyish?

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 3, 2008

Ta-da! Pooh42 e-mailed them to so I could post them for you guys. I'm in the process of hitting every garage sale this side of the Rocky Mountains to find them. I found four last weekend. I'm going to try to get a couple of each, if possible, so the kids can take them back to their seats with them while they practice the strategies. I'm teaching third, storyh, and I think they'll love it.

http://www.realclassroomideas.com/194.html

If anyone has any more resources for comprehension, let me know. Pooh42 only had one document.