declined offer because it got weird...is this normal?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FourSquare, Jan 15, 2016.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 15, 2016

I currently teach in a big urban district. I interviewed last week at the human resources building of a smaller suburban district. My interview was with the human resources guy and an assistant principal. It went well, but when they called to offer the job, I requested to see the school and meet the actual principal before accepting and they REFUSED. The HR guy said "Sorry, this is just not our policy." He then also began asking questions about all my "amazing credentials," wanting me to go count all my graduate credit hours again. (Apparently, nobody wants to pay for my "amazing credentials" lol.) I understand confirming salary issues, but is this normal to not be invited to the workplace to meet your team, etc? I come from a Principal driven hiring system. We'd never dream of bringing on a new teacher without acquainting them to the building. However, they sure made me feel crazy.

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 16, 2016

Definitely weird. I too would have turned it down. I can't see taking a job without having seen the school and met the principal. I don't think you're crazy at all.

otterpop likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2016

Has to be a reason they won't let you see the school. I think you made a good decision.

dgpiaffeteach likes this.
  5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jan 16, 2016

A possible alternate route might be to view the school on the Internet (I'm assuming you have enough information from the assistant principal's name to Google it). It's amazing what you can learn about a school's decorum just from viewing pictures of the school. I'd also drive by the school and around the neighborhood.

If you're definitely not going to accept the position without further information, then I think I'd play it like buying a car. I'd call the HR person up again and politely insist on seeing the school first. Two reasons: They might decide that someone with your credentials is not someone to let go. Also, they might be waiting to see what you would do next, perhaps to see if you are truly committed to seeking employment there. I've heard of many strange ways HR people have of sorting through applicants. The funniest was the guy who took the applicant out for a steak dinner. If the applicant salted his steak before taking a bite to try it first, he wouldn't hire that applicant.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2016

That would definitely be a huge red flag for me. There must be some reason they don't want you to see the school or meet the principal. Is interviewing with HR common in your area? Around here school teams do all of the interviewing. Usually it's the principal, AP, and whichever teachers are on the team that has the opening (if it's in the summer, teachers are invited but don't have to come, so it might be just admin then). Our interviews are also held in our school building, although we don't tend to do tours or anything like that. It sounds like you already turned down the job- did you explain why? If that really is just their blanket "policy" they should know that it comes off as a huge red flag.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 16, 2016

I did already turn down the job. It was going to be a $6,000 pay cut. I'm not comfortable with that unless I really know what I'm walking in to. I did explain this and they were a bit hostile, but whatever.

The building is only 12 years old. I have seen some pictures on the Internet, and I am 100% sure it would have been nicer and more resourced than my current building from 1896. But I'm not a first year teacher desperate for a job. I've been around long enough to know that people are everything, and my current school has great people. I'd rather work for them in a terrible building than somebody fishy with nice "stuff."

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 16, 2016

You could have taken a $6000 paycut, have a principal that would drive you crazy, for example hostile, weird, overdemanding, micromanaging, the school environment could be a total turn-off and you would have been thinking, why did I accept this job and how do I get out of here?

You made the right decision.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 16, 2016

Honestly, it sounds like they were throwing a ton of shade in your direction. Bullet, dodged.

10. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jan 16, 2016

It might not be as weird as you think. When I was first hired in my district, I was interviewed by an HR person. After being hired to the district, I went to a hire fair where I interviewed with principals and was offered a job at a specific school. Now things are different, where most teachers are hired after a panel interview that features at least one person on the same grade level as the open position.