Decison help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeachOnTheBeach, Mar 31, 2009.

1. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Mar 31, 2009

Hello!
    I am a new teacher this year and teach 3rd grade. I am so grateful to have a job and will be staying at my school next year. :)
    Originally I was asked to stay in 3rd and today I was asked to move to 5th grade, where teachers just teach one subject. I would be teaching reading only.

I don't know what to say or do? Anyone teach only one subject? And love it?
    I am really confused and don't want to dissapoint my admin.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2009

You have one year of experience in 3rd grade.

I see this as a great opportunity to prove you're a team player.

Tell them you'll be happy to teach whatever and whoever they want you to teach.

Administrators have long memories. They'll remember your team spirit when it matters.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2009

I've never taught just one subject, but it does sound somewhat wonderful. Imagine being able to really focus all your efforts.

5. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Mar 31, 2009

You are both very right!! I want to be a team player and like I said before, I am so grateful to have a job!

6. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Mar 31, 2009

I would do it. I currently teach two subjects on a two person team. I love math and science and it really gives me a chance to concentrate on being really good at teaching my two subjects.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 31, 2009

I would take it if you feel comfortable teaching reading to 5th grade. You user name reminds me of the school I used to teach at in WA state. All of our Tshirts said Teach at the Beach. Oh and so did the t-shirts at a school in Maine I used to teach at. haha. I loved teaching near the beach.

8. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 31, 2009

I have always wondered what it would be like to plan for one subject instead of several!!!! TAke it and have fun. By the way 5th graders are not much different. I remember when I went from 2 to 4th to 6th. They are still little. Now I teach 3rd and think 5th woulb be kind of fun.

9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 31, 2009

I would definitely prefer to teach 1 or 2 subjects over all of them. I don't know how any one does it.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 31, 2009

I agree, go for the 5th grade position they're suggesting. Not only will you be seen as a team player willing to move to wherever the school needs you, but it will expose you to another grade. If something should happen and your school has to cut you, then you'll have had experience teaching more than one grade. It would make you more marketable should you be forced into a job hunt.

And congrats on staying on at your school!

11. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Mar 31, 2009

Teaching one subject in fifth grade is FANTASTIC! Take it from someone who does it--I teach six math classes. If you really like reading then I'd go for it. All my focus is on my one subject and I truly love it. I would hate to teach more than one or two subjects, I can't imagine dividing my time between all those subjects!

Departmentalization is a wonderful part of teaching...I highly recommend it!!!!

12. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Mar 31, 2009

Let me add something to my previous post. Do you know anything about the fifth grade teachers you will be working with? I think my departmentalization experience has been so wonderful because I work with ladies who really work well together. We collaborate and discuss and make new policies, etc, all the time. I think that is an important part of departmentalizing. You need a good team to work with.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2009

I think it could be a wonderful opportunity for you! In my first 3 years of teaching, I taught 3 different grades (K,2,3)...I think its helped me a lot. Good luck!!

14. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 31, 2009

I would LOVE to teach only one subject. Give me ALL Algebra II blocks and I'd be a happy camper. Forget this Algebra I and Algebra II stuff!!!!!

Oh wait...you're talking 3rd and 5th grade with reading, math, and more. Those classes scare me!!!!

God bless our primary school teachers. They send me wonderfully taught kids, who I torment with quadratic equations, logarithms, and my poor english writing skills.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2009

:lol: muttling...myself and I'm sure a few other elem or early childhood teachers think the same about those who teach ms or hs. I could never do it!! I prefer 3rd and younger :D

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2009

I love teaching one subject. I love math and I like that I can devote all of my time to making sure my students know math well. I taught third grade before 6th and the age difference is not bad at all. The only reason I would think twice about teaching one subject is if I thought I wouldn't enjoy teaching the subject. If you like teaching reading I would go for it.

17. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Apr 1, 2009

I really appreciate everyones input. I think I am going to do it. It would be a wonderful experience and it's just one year, if I don't like it then I could switch the year after.

18. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Apr 1, 2009

I would love to teach English only. What fun to be able to skip all the things that bore me.