Decisions...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by willow129, Jun 20, 2014.

1. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 20, 2014

Oh decisions...

I interviewed at a job that really was kind of advertised incompletely...it is a maternity leave position that after the teacher comes back becomes part-time....so it's also only a year thing. Anyways I wouldn't probably have applied if I had known that, but I got an interview and they did explain the situation and I went ahead with the interview anyway.

The interview was super chill, the principal seems very relaxed, funny, I felt way over dressed....(I mentioned this in another thread) and I really enjoyed talking to the music teacher (she and I have really similar philosophies coincidentally and we definitely bonded over that lol) The community is very rural and not a lot of money, similar to where I grew up, they have very strong traditions which the music teacher is very much a part of. She's been there for 10 years and it seems like she does a really good job.

Anyways, I wouldn't say the schools themselves are amazing, they definitely do not score high, but it sounds like a community where I could fit in (I feel more and more that I don't fit in where I am right now) and the area is really beautiful...I'm a sucker for pretty outdoors :)

I think if it's between my current job and there, considering that I'd be applying again in a year in either situation, I think there is better because applying to new jobs will be much easier in a year long position where they understand I have to work somewhere the following year! As opposed to my current job where I got very much on the wrong side of my boss by mentioning that I was looking elsewhere....I really WANT to get out of where I am.

But so...I have yet to hear back from one place that called one of my references (though I've emailed a couple times and no response) I JUST got a tip about a K-3 (yay!) job in an area I'd be really interested in. I have another interview on Tuesday for another great job description and another good area.

It's hard to decide what I should do...would love to hear from some folks with some experience with this kind of thing, potentially taking a non-permanent position over continuing applying for permanent ones.

3. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 20, 2014

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention, they also offered me the job today so hence my conundrum. The principal was totally understanding about me needing to think about it and talk to my boyfriend (this would put off his own settling down and starting a business for another year but he doesn't want to do that *here* anyways)

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2014

Would it be a one year contract or would you be considered an LTS?
    Meaning do you get all the benefits of being a contracted employee? (health insurance, union, etc...)

Those would be big factors in a decision for me. Around here it is common for one year positions to not be contracted. Therefore, no insurance or anything.

5. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 20, 2014

Ooh very good question giraffe, I am going to assume no but I will ask!

6. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 20, 2014

On the other hand, it will be for one year, and I can get the state insurance (my boyfriend is on it so he knows the process and stuff) ... so taking the job is still doable even with that

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 20, 2014

Can you afford the pay once it becomes part time?

8. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

well, I was looking at other jobs that are also part-time - ones that are .4 and such, and those would be for the whole year, with the idea that I would supplement with gigs, which I'm happy to do :) my boyfriend and I aren't big spenders, loans are paid off, and I've saved up money this year...I have been investigating apartments and it is much much cheaper out there. They don't know how much part-time I would be because the schedule for next year hasn't been finished yet (working on it) but they said maybe .5. I guess I feel like if I took that job...I'd make it work somehow. Maybe that's crazy...

(keep the questions coming! lol)