Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ScienceGeek, Jul 11, 2009.

1. ScienceGeek

ScienceGeek Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

I am a little scared that I'll have to make a difficult choice of picking a school to work for. One position is in a nicer area for only half the year, but you never know it could possibly turn into a full year.

The other position is in a mixed area some rich, but mostly poor; bordering our state capitol which is a rough area. This job is for a full year. Both rides are fairly easy. The mixed up area has a better drive.

Monetary speaking is pretty much the same, with a $500 difference a year (if I am able to stay that long) in the nicer area school. Money doesn't bother me, it's the students... Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I'm just afraid it turns into my worst nightmare and I'm in a binding contract that I can't get out of to teach there for a whole year. The trouble is I need the full year to complete my schooling, to get my teacher certification plus half my Masters credits. What do you think I should do? Take a chance go for the nicer district hoping they'll have another half year sub position, or go for the sure thing of the full year in the troublesome district?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

More money doesn't always guarantee nicer kids, more supportive parents or a great administration.

As I see it, you're weighing one unknown full time position against another unknown half year position.

I would go with the full year position.

4. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jul 11, 2009

I would choose the full year job especially since you need it for your schooling and certification. After all, what would you do if you took the half year position and it didn't turn into a full year position? How would this affect your getting certified?

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2009

I would also go for the full-year position if both were offered.

6. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

and a "rich" school doesn't mean better working conditions. These tend to be very demanding parents and their word seems to hold more weight than yours.

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2009

full year - no doubt about it. :)
    It is nice to have a choice when so many are looking. I am so very grateful to have a job. I am so very grateful and hope to help someone anyone out there land one. We have a guidance position open at my school if anyone has that certification...:)

8. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

Absolutely the full year!!

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

So long as you have strong classroom management and engaging lessons, you are going to be a great teacher. I would also choose the full-year position. Each school comes with its own problems!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

Full year

11. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

What did you decide to do?