Decisions, decisions...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by viola_x_wittrockiana, Aug 20, 2021.

1. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 20, 2021

When it rains, it pours. I have two job offers that are completely different and I'm trying to weigh pros/cons. Basically the only thing that's the same between the two is they're both charters.

Job A: full-time high school teaching four 90-minute blocks per day of general music to the underclassmen. The school is run by a large corporate network that took over from another charter a few years ago. This school is downtown, their test scores are abysmal. I'd be using Canvas, which I have not used before. They're a 1-to-1 school. I'd have my own classroom.

Job B: part-time grade school teaching a 30-minute lesson per class per week. This school is an independent one-off language immersion school offering two different language tracks. I have a respectable degree of proficiency in one language; I know like 3 words in the other. They just opened in 2016 and are doing the add-a-grade model of expansion, so the job has the potential to be full-time in the future. Classes are small (16 in K), test scores are good, not 1-to-1, and I'd be push-in instruction. They're very eager to offer music since they've been losing 5th graders to the public schools because the parents want band/orchestra.

Job A offered me the position first, and I informally accepted, but I don't have a contract from them and they offered me the job Monday and it's now Friday. I have no idea what pay/benefits would be. It'd be more money flat out than Job B, but it may not come out any better when broken down into a daily rate. Job B offered today and sent rough terms with details to follow. It'd be two full days plus some extra time, and the pay is at a fair rate.
    Job B is about 10 minutes closer, so commute is not really a factor. I do like the big kids better, but it's been so long since I've had the itty-bitties. At the high school, the problem is likely the students; at the grade school, it's likely the parents. Both schools require masks for everyone, but at the high school some of the kids will be vaccinated and none at the grade school can be yet. It's a toss-up which group is better at wearing masks the right way. The high school likely comes with a lot more paperwork since I'd have assignments to grade from every class every week, but, it's only two preps. The grade school is 6-8 preps, but few paper assignments and possibly no letter grades. The big kids have had music class before, the littles haven't.

Thoughts?

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Aug 20, 2021

Job A. I can build relationships with students and once I do my day to day life would be easier. And 2 preps! Beats 6. You’d probably spend your days off in Job B working for free.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 20, 2021

Congratulations on 2 job offers. If you informally accepted an offer, I would lean toward that one if you are truly undecided. If you really know which one you want, then take that one.

5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 26, 2021

I ended up going with Job B after I did some digging around on both schools. With not being from the city I now live in, I don't instantly know anything about most of the schools around here. I found out that the high school was/is in danger of being taken over by the state because of low performance. Of last year's ACT/SAT, only one student scored well enough to not fall below the remedial college cut-off scores. That to me a is really bad sign because I had scores significantly higher than the remedial cut-off when I was 12.

I found out that the other school bought a new building, so I'll only be on a cart doing push-in for this year. Next year I'll have a home base classroom space. After reading the reviews of the school, I was seeing a lot going on that lines up with my sensibilities.

I started this week and it's been a completely different experience than my last school. The staff isn't clique-y (at least that I've noticed) and it's more of a team environment where everyone tries to be consistent with the kids. I'm already seeing that my particular skill set is valued, which is appreciated. My first day, I opened the door to leave my house and was met with a fabulous double rainbow, so, cliche as it may be, I took that as a good sign.

rpan and CaliforniaRPCV like this.