Decisions, Decisions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by PinkCupcake, Aug 5, 2013.

1. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

The official first day back for teachers in my district is next Friday the 16th. I was planning to go back the 13th anyway to work ahead like I have in the past. Today a coworker and I were at school to help with a missing textbook search. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and drop some things off in my classroom. As soon as I opened my classroom door I took one look at everything and immediately went through my mental checklist.
    There is so much to do! I'm now thinking I need to go back to school at least twice this week to accomplish everything. I can't wait to see what the new school year brings. I want the vision I have in my head to finally be put into place in the classroom. Am I being OCD or too uptight? I feel like I've had a relaxing break, but at the same time I don't wanna get burnt out before school even starts. :help:

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

Each teacher is different and each year is different. I think if you are ready to go back and you've got the time, then go for it. If you really feel you need to do some other fun things first on your vacation, then you might want to do that. That is the nice thing about a teacher. It is your choice.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 5, 2013

I'm taking the opposite approach this year. IF I go back to my room before school starts, it will be to unload the junk I've bought over the summer. It is taking up too much space in my living room.

I am not the least bit concerned about my classroom. I admit that part of that is due to my district's and my state's obvious opinions about teachers. But part of it is that I realized so much of what I did in my room can either be replicated easily, be used again or wasn't used at all last year so I shouldn't worry about it.

Now, I have worked some on lessons and such. But my room can wait until the day that I have to show up at school.

5. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

I agree with this. I like to work in my room during the summer because I am more likely to burn out by having to work longer days during the year. By working some in the summer, I can do things at a more relaxed pace and have some fun time every day, too.

6. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

How long does it normally take you to set up your room?

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 6, 2013

Because I've eliminated most of the fluff, I could do it in two hours. I have to have a second person with me for 30 minutes of that time, though, so it tends to take a little bit longer.

I have really gone down to the bare bones. I no longer have a word wall. My posters from last year are still up on the wall. If my courses change I will remove the course names from my wall and have to print out new standards.

During my second year of teaching I made things to last. I left things as generic as possible and double laminated what I could so everything could be used over and over.

But, I teach high school. I don't have to worry about printing every student's name out and attaching it to cubbies, Absent/Present charts, helper charts, etc. I choose to label students' seats with their names, but if push came to shove, I could do without that too.

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

I always go in a few times in August to get my room ready. I don't get a lot of time once the school year officially starts (2 days of pd and a day of meetings), so I have to do my room on my own if I want enough time. :)

9. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 6, 2013

I'm making another trip to Lakeshore or Mardel today then to Michael's for a project I want to complete for the classroom. Tomorrow I'll go in for a few hours.