Decisions decisions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by oppa637, Jun 29, 2010.

1. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

Ok, to start, I have a BS in Biochemistry. A year ago, I put an application into Exxonmobil but honestly kind of forgot bout it. 2-3 weeks ago, I got an email to come into an interview on july 8th for a lab tech position.

Yesterday, I went to my first teacher career fair. Got interviewed right there to my surprise, and to a bigger surprise, bout 7 hours later, got a call from a school saying I was highly recommended and to come into an interview tomorrow at 3 to meet the principal, tour the school, check out the lab (chemistry teacher btw). By the tone of the voice, it almost sounds like I already have the position (I haven't even completed my online app yet. I should probably get it done before the interview?)

So, the exxon job is a dream , benefits and pay are so much better. But i'd love to teach too. It'll also take 6-8 weeks more or less to know if i get the exxon position. I dont' want to decline a teaching position for the exxon and get neither but I don't know if i can ask the school to wait that long me to respond to an offer (assuming I get one). Argghhh...what to do... Haven't slept cause of this.

3. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

Good luck!

4. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jun 29, 2010

lol, oops, guess i've been a bit overly excited.

Honestly, originally, I wanted to teach more when I retire. But the more I think bout it, the more I love it. If the pay was the same, It'd be a done deal but 2-3 times more pay is kinda hard to not consider. Specially considering where Exxon could take me.

I don't want to burn any bridges obviously. Guess I'll just see what happens. =D

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2010

Wow...talk about varied choices!!! And biochemistry right now in Texas-- I can see why Exxonmobile would be interested!!! This sort of timing might be a once in a lifetime thing.

And Chemistry teachers have traditionally been incredibly hard to find. (Easy to understand when you see the difference in salary for those who choose to take that degree to Exxonmobile!)

I can't really advise you on what's right for you. But I KNOW that your prospective school can't wait 6-8 weeks to find a teacher. Even here, where school just ended, we'll be back and running in 8 weeks. And I imagine the schools near you start in early to mid August.

I wish you luck with your decision!

6. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Wow is all I can say. I didn't know how excited I'd be from just touring the school. Things have changed so much since I went to a small town high school.

I had my 2nd interview yesterday. I think I found out how I got the 2nd interview. Another interviewer next to me eaves dropped on my interview and I guess he liked me more than his interviewee. lol. But the staff was soo friendly, the school even though being a title 1 school had some better equipment then I had at the University. I thought the interview went very well, but they said that I should know by friday or so.

Last night, I decided to send a thank you email to the principal. Would have preferred a card but knew it was a short time frame.

She replied this morning stating she already sent a recommendation to me to HR YESTERDAY!!!

I dunno if that means I got the position or not....but its a good sign!!

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

If she sent the recommendation to HR, that means she wants you. More than likely, the board will then vote on all those recommended and a contract will be issued.

I'd call it a good sign :)

8. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

Congratulations!! I am quite sure you got the job!!! :)

Where in TX are you?

9. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

I'm in Houston. This is for the Cypress Fairbanks district. I got another email from the HR department that said congratulations. That I they have received a recommendation from the school. They just need the rest of my application to be completed ( references, transcripts, and fingerprinting). It does end with this statement though.

Please understand that recommendations are conditional upon HR review of the application, certification, transcripts and references. Final approval is given once the file is complete and reviewed. Thank you.

So, I'm taking , all I have to do is to complete my application and such...and its mine??? =D I'm sooo excited. You never know when an angel is watching out for you. I was wayyy lucky that they found me the way they did!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Congratulations!!!

Now get that paperwork done!!!