Decisions- advice please!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Aug 15, 2014.

  1. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 15, 2014

    So on Tuesday I accepted a position with a school for kids with autism/behavior difficulties. 8-12 year olds, intellectual ability wise it'll be like 1st-5th graders in a class. Very excited about it. 30 mile commute each way. Most money. Let's call that School A.

    School B is where I did a LTS. Behavior alt. ed school. Would be teaching 7th and 8th graders. Was basically told I'd be offered the position. Haven't gotten an offer yet but I have been planning to turn it down, simply because I want an elementary classroom- School A is closer to that. 10 miles from home each way. Less money than School A- commute to School A would even out the money.

    Today I got a call from School C. Another autism/behavior school. More behaviors than anything. So similar to School B. 20 mile commute. I interviewed there like a month and a half ago. Not sure the ages I would be teaching. Money would be about the same as School B.

    Right now I am sticking with School A but I'm questioning my choice and wondering if I'm making the right decision. They are all so similar. My only reservations about not choosing School B is the staff there has done a lot for me and I feel like I owe them. School C just came out of nowhere about a half hour ago.

    Thoughts?? :help:
     
  2.  
  3. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Aug 15, 2014

    Stick with A. And I say this because the job makes you excited.

    I was in the sorta the same position deciding on choosing to interview at other schools that had in my mind better positions geared more to what I wanted to do after I got an offer. I stuck with my first school because I felt happy and excited about it. Even though school hasn't started yet, I feel I definitely made the right choice, I'm going to be so supported and talked to a few of my new coworkers already.

    Go with your gut! School A!
     
  4. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 15, 2014

    Update: School C is less money than the others and would be 5th through 8th grade.

    Thanks Bunnie! I am trying to go with my gut and stick with it! It's such a big decision it's making me stressed out and indecisive!
     
  5. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Aug 15, 2014

    I understand. It's hard when possible lucrative options are presented before you and you want to make sure you made the correct one.

    Good luck this year, I hope you'll fall in love with the school and position!
     
  6. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Aug 15, 2014

    I'd stick with A. You don't owe school B, and shouldn't feel like you are obligated to work there when is sounds like school A is a better fit. Just politely decline and tell they you were offered a position elsewhere first and already verbally accepted. Mention that you don't want to go back on your word. Throw integrity in there. Then it should keep school B available as an option in the future.
     
  7. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,764
    Likes Received:
    1,723

    Aug 15, 2014

    This is your best choice. You aren't burning any bridges and they will remember you as a person of honor if something comes up next year and you want to switch.

    Have a great year!
     
  8. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 15, 2014

    Update:


    School A is no longer a possibility for me. The position changed from 8-12 year olds that were high functioning to low-functioning 11-17 year olds. If I hadn't had called today with a question I never would've known. When I heard that the ages would change, and I'd be working with kids that have toileting needs, I immediately felt totally uncomfortable. That's just not something I'm interested in or prepared to do when I have other options. I'm a little annoyed that they weren't giving me a heads up.

    So I let School A know that I could no longer conditionally accept the position and rejected my acceptance. I feel terrible but the position was totally different!

    Now I'm back to School B (where I did LTS) and School C. I know School B is still willing to offer me the job. Haven't heard back from School C. Need to make a decision ASAP. Thoughts????
     
  9. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Aug 15, 2014

    Sorry that the position at school A changed into something you don't feel comfortable or prepared to do.

    Here are things I would consider in making your decision. When does school start? If it's relatively soon I would accept school C because I wouldn't want to be hoping for a school that seems to be dragging it's feet. How soon do you need to let school C Know? Can you call school B and tell them you have an offer and will take it if they don't make a decision soon?

    Make a list of pros and cons. And always go with your gut.
     
  10. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 15, 2014

    Both schools start the 25th. B offered me the job too... Well he said it's mine if I want it. They're really laid back because I worked there already, but he had me send him my Masters degree today so HR has it on file for my Masters level salary offer. So I think either is good to go whenever I decide.


    That's a great idea Bunnie! Thanks for being so helpful!
     
  11. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Aug 15, 2014

    Based on what you have told me I think School B is the best option. It many not be the preferred grade level but a nice supportive team trumps that in my opinion. Plus school C is pretty much the same grade level.

    Good luck with whatever you decide!
     
  12. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 18, 2014

    Thanks Bunnie!

    School B and C scheduled interviews with other people because they thought I was no longer interested.

    I feel like I took myself out of two jobs because I trusted School A to not change things on me like they did. I am beyond frustrated and depressed. Finally felt like a real teacher for five minutes and now I'm back to being nothing.

    There's a good chance that School B will still hire me. They said they'd let me know by tomorrow or Wednesday. There are some things they need to sort out first with staffing changes. But I'm scared that I won't hear good news.

    The waiting game is NOT FUN! Feeling disappointed in myself.
     
  13. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Aug 18, 2014

    I'm so sorry to hear that! Hopefully since you have that connection with School B you still have a good shot.

    My fingers are crossed for you!

    Keep us posted!
     
  14. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 18, 2014

    What would I do without you posting back Bunnie! Thanks for the encouragement! I definitely need it!
     
  15. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Aug 18, 2014

    I know what it's like to be mislead about a position and then trying to scramble for another. So I feel for you!

    What's meant to be will happen. I know it sounds cheesy,but I truly believe that.
     
  16. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 18, 2014

    I read your posts Bunnie! I'm so glad you found something great! Have a wonderful year!

    You're right- if I'm meant to be back at School B again, I will be!
     
  17. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Aug 18, 2014

    Aw thanks. Yeah I had a rough year to say the least, that I didn't truly write about on here. But getting the job I did was a very long process. It's definitely a relief that I obtained a job. I hope you get that same feeling soon!
     
  18. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 19, 2014

    You're welcome Bunnie! Thank you, I hope so too!
     
  19. msmac21

    msmac21 Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 20, 2014

    Well, I've been totally burned and now I'm back to square one. School starts next week and I'm yet again at the possibility of not having a teaching job.

    School B hired someone else. Made it sound like the job was mine and then called me today that they went with someone else. Completely frustrated and angry.

    School C said they held more interviews after I turned them down (for School A) and if they are still interested in me, they will call me tomorrow. Guess I should hope for that but I know the chances are slim in this market.

    Now I'm just depressed and the fact of possibly going another year without a classroom and students is making me sick. I'm applying for everything that pops up and still holding out hope, but I'm running out of time.... Just want to crawl into a hole and not come out at this point : (
     
  20. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Aug 20, 2014

    :hugs:
     
  21. Bunnie

    Bunnie Devotee

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,136
    Likes Received:
    165

    Aug 20, 2014

    Oh no! :hugs: I'm so sorry!

    I completely understand your frustration in essentially being duped twice. Take the night to sulk and be upset. Tomorrow hit the ground running and apply to everything you see pop up.

    Hopefully school C will want you but I wouldn't bank on just them.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. catnfiddle,
  2. nstructor
Total: 216 (members: 2, guests: 193, robots: 21)
test