Decision time!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teaching Grace, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2010

At my school, we were told today about how many points worth of teachers we were losing and who had to go where. My grade level is having to lose several teachers--volunteers are welcome. We were told we could choose any level and there might be an opening. However, there are definitely openings in K and 5th. I'm leaning towards K (teach 3rd now). Can someone please five me more information about what a normal day would look like? Websites or resources that I could look at? Challenges that would be faced?

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2010

Anyone?

4. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Feb 20, 2010

I've taught 5th and 2nd, and if you're used to 3rd graders, 5th would be much easier to transition to. Kinders need SOOOO much direction and help. Even the simplest of things need hours of explanation. 5th graders are much more independent, but you'd have to deal with more attitude! :) I'd go for 5th, but that depends on what you'd prefer. Good luck!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 20, 2010

Wow-that is a tough decision. I may be biased ;) but I love teaching Kinder. They are like little sponges and for many it's their first experience in school so it's easy to get them excited about learning. I won't say it's particularly the easiest grade to teach, but the challenge is worth the rewards and the huge progress you can make in a year.

You asked what a day would look like-we do whole group reading as well as small groups (guided)/workstations. Same with math. You have to be able to withstand a little noise when they are working but they thrive with hands-on collaborative activities. Teaching writing takes a lot of patience, but again, it's worth it to see them go from sounding out one word for a sentence to writing stories.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 21, 2010

I taught 2nd grade for years and just moved to K this year... it was challenging at first, but VERY rewarding. There really is nothing like kindergarten, in a good way. :) I write about my daily experiences on my blog (below) if you want to take a 'peek' into a kindergarten classroom. I always say teaching kindergarten is the hardest job you'll ever love.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 21, 2010

I had 4 friends move from 1st or 2nd grade to kindergarten. Two of them LOVED it and the other 2 (the first grade teachers) thought they were 2 needy for them -- one of them was germaphobic and hated to be touched so I know that was a big part in her hating it. I always found the kg. teachers more readily to share their ideas and their resources. If I were to switch to regular ed. it would either be gr. 2 or kg.

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 21, 2010

Oh yes, LOTS of touching, hugs, and germs. :)

Just invest in TONS of hand sanitizer... I bathe in it daily at school. :D

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 21, 2010

Hmmmmm I love both grades. Kindergarten is definitely a lot different the third. PM me if you want.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2010

Obviously I have no experience here.

I think I would go to my principal and chat. I would say that I love my school, and would be happy to work in whatever grade he or she needed me.

Preserve your job, prove that you're incredibly valuable because they can put you where ever you're needed.

You don't have a serious preference at this point, so use that to your advantage.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 21, 2010

Only you know what you can really handle. I observed for a few periods in a K classroom on Thursday. I think the teacher might be my favorite in our whole school. Her management system is AMAZING. Those kids never acted out because they were constantly engaged.

However, I was kind of....bored. Not with the kids, but with the subject matter. They move slow and repeat a lot. And the kids need so much structure and hand holding. For instance, she spent half an hour tying to get them to glue cotton balls on some kind of sheep project. I desperately wanted to just glue them all myself. :lol: Good K teachers have so much love and patience. (I commend you all!)

However, my 5th graders are awesome. I can joke around with them and they can do independent projects and keep the class moving with group discussion. This is much more my style. But they are less likely to want to please you, and I do love hugs and pictures from the Kinders!

If I had to choose, I'd go 5th. But think about what makes you happy.