Decision Time - Input Needed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachLI123, Aug 21, 2011.

1. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Aug 21, 2011

I have been trying to get a teaching position but so far all I have been met with is relatives being hired over me, and false interviews (ie. called for a teaching position went in and all they had were assistants). I have been fortunate enough to secure three aide/assistant positions but don't know which one would be my best option

A. The school I've been with for past five years. I may be moving out of state for teaching next summer and think it might look the best to keep same employer. However, the principal has made it quite clear that I will be an aide and he doesn't see that changing.

B. A new School working as an assistant in a 1:1 situation. This job is closer to home and more money but after hundreds of teachers were cut from this district I don't see them hiring anytime soon. In addition, it would be a change of employment so I'm not sure how that would look on my resume.

C. An assistant job at a prek program in a school district I had previously left mid year for financial reasons. This job is hourly based thus the lowest of incomes but may have potential for growth since I'd be in a school district known to hire (although I did leave so not sure how they would feel about having me back) or within the program at a different school.

Any advice would help since I think I will have to make a decision soon.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

If you really think you'll be moving next year, take #2 to maximize your income.:2cents:

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

Can you imagine yourself working 1:1?

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 21, 2011

B. Maximize your income. More pay and closer to home. Since you are moving anyway, experience will be seen as experience.

6. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Aug 21, 2011

The problem is moving is still up in the air. I have worked as a 1:1 and although I don't love it I don't have a problem doing it either

7. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 21, 2011

I would look at #2 to broaden your experiences and fatten up your wallet at the same time. :) A prospective employer would see that as "adding" to your skills and experiences rather than you being flakey and switching jobs. The five years that you spent at #1 will verify that. If asked you can honestly say that you were looking for a new setting and skills set to add to repertoire.

8. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 21, 2011

Follow the dollar signs for now.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2011

Hm ... I'm going to go a different route ... stay with the principal you have a good relationship with. As the year progresses, get a solid letter of recommendation and permission for potential employers to call or email for a reference. And, since you've been working at the school for 5 years, collect a few letters of recommendation from key teachers and any other admin you work with.

If you've already collected your recommendations, then go with the money and a 2nd source of letters of recommendation.

10. AMyers626

AMyers626 Rookie

Aug 21, 2011

I would say A or B. If you're going to change jobs, I think maximizing your income would be the best choice. Any job you pick will be great experience to add to your resume!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 22, 2011

A or B.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2011

I think it depends on how likely you are to move out of state next year.

And I wouldn't sweat a one year change of employment, not in this economy.