Decision made

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kburen, Feb 15, 2008.

1. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

I finally made a decision and talked with my principal about it. Instead of leaving the county, I have discovered how much my passion is math. I am certified NK-6 and spoke with my principal to see if in my county that left me certified in 6th grade, even though it's in the middle school. It does....so I spoke with her about the possibility of there being an opening in 6th grade math. She said that she didn't know, but if I was interested, to fill that out on my intent form when I got it (the form that says yes or no about coming back next year and leaves places for you to fill in if you want to switch positions or school). I filled it out and my principal spoke with the principal at the middle school yesterday and let him know that if there was a position open for 6th grade math that she had someone interested. He says that it is a possibility! So...I'm not getting my hopes up, but would be very happy if that worked out! If it doesn't, I'll still be happy and will be teaching Kindergarten here again next year (principal told me that I've done a great job with what I've been given and she wants to keep me right where I am if I'm here again next year).

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2008

Quite a difference between teaching K and teaching MS math! You are versatile. And it sounds like your principal values that.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2008

kburen, good luck! I have taught kinder and 2nd grades before, and have applied for an 8th grade ELA position for next year. If math is your passion, I bet you will have a blast teaching it!

5. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

I've made a big jump like this once before. I'm in my 3rd year of teaching and this is my first year in Kindergarten...My first 2 years were in 5th grade and I didn't find out about teaching K this year until the day before we started school. I've been tutoring some of my old students (2 who are in 7th grade taking 8th grade math and one who is in 6th grade taking 7th grade math). I've realized just how much I miss REAL math in my sessions with them. I've heard a lot of negative things about the math teachers at the middle school. Some of them teach like they're teaching college, one is just bored with math because they've taught it so long, and one flat out tells the kids that they HAVE to do it HER way and no other way. That completely goes against everything I learned from my favorite professor in college!!! He told us that if a child can do a problem and get the right answer, that it doesn't matter how they did it as long as they can show you how they did it and get the correct answer each time. There are sooooo many ways to get the same answer in math and that teacher is teaching these kids the most hard way possible. I was showing them the easy way and suddenly they could understand math, but the teacher got an attitude with them because they didn't do it HER way even though the answer was right. All of these things led me to my decision to put my name in for a position that I heard through the grape-vine might be openeing up. My fingers are crossed, but my hopes aren't too high (I don't want to get dissappointed!). :) I really think I could do some good for those kids being how math makes me soooo excited! I think I can make THEM excited about it.

6. kburen

kburen Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

Good luck smalltowngal! :) If that's what you want I hope it works out for you.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2008

kburen, thanks! I hope that everything works out for you as well. Be sure to keep us updated.