Deciding

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by usfmeghi, Jun 27, 2007.

1. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 27, 2007

I just can't decide....

I've gotten several offers in AZ, but nothing in CA yet. (ELL, 2nd grade, 4th grade in a charter, 2nd grade in a charter)

Have interview tomorrow here and another district just did their district interview and is completeing internal hiring.

I just don't know if I should take what I've gotten (good market in AZ) or hold out a little longer and try and get something in CA. Was really hoping to get something in Oregon, but not possible... as their market is BRUTAL.

I would prefer not to move to AZ, although it does have advantages such as cost of living.....

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2007

It's a tough call, and ultimately you will be the one who needs to make it. If I were in your position, I'd consider a few factors:

How rooted are you in CA? Do you own a home or have family there? How easy/hard would it be to move away?

If a job in CA doesn't pan out this year, do you have a fall-back option for the school year? Can you afford to sub with no benefits? Could you get an office job?

Why do you prefer not to move to AZ? Weather? Crime? Away from family? What issues are superficial, and what issues are dealbreakers?

If not AZ, then what about NV, UT, or WA?

4. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 27, 2007

No.. I don't have any root here really. My immediate family is in Oregon, and my extended family is spread out throughout the state of CA.

I looked into WA, but because my Elementary is an added auth they won't accept it until I first get a resident licenses there and that has to be what I did my program in. Since I have no intention of doing secondary, it's not worth it...

Utah isnt diverse enough for me. That is a BIG factor in any state I go to, especially since I am of a different culture myself.

Moving to NV is the same reason against AZ. It;s a fine state I;m sure, but I know no one there, and is even furthur away from my family. At least in CA I have family close by. Weather I could adapt to eventually I'm sure. I don't know what the crime rate is there....if its high, it would be a turn off.

AZ was sort of my fall-back. I knew I wouldnt have any problems getting a job there. I would definately have to go back to Oregon if I didnt get a job this year. It's too expensive to live off sub pay in CA unless I got into LA...but that district is so disorganized I dont know how long it would take....