December Themes

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MuckeyBusiness, Nov 27, 2009.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Nov 27, 2009

What are the themes you guys have for the following weeks up until Christmas. I have all three kids on certain weeks and I want things to be easy and smooth. Please help me out with the themes that are in the month of December. Also if you have some fun activities for 3 or 5 year olds that would be great!

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Nov 27, 2009

We'll be doing "Pirates and Treasures" for the first 2 weeks of December, then we'll probably start a unit on Dr. Seuss. The Dr. Seuss theme will start the week before we go on Christmas vacation and then continue when we come back from vacation in January.

4. Kase

Kase Companion

Nov 27, 2009

We do Caring and Manners, International Holidays, and we work on our skills and concepts as well.

5. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Nov 27, 2009

We have a shape & color(s) for each month, usually things they'll see a lot of this time of year (star, red, yellow, green). For the overall theme I do Gingerbread. We make them out of paper, felt & cookies. The same with the houses. My students are only there 3 days a week so I make simple themes stretch well.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 27, 2009

I so Christmas is coming all month. We are doing a Candy Cane Countdown, where we make a giant candy cane with 25 stripes. Each day we pull off a stripe. When the "candy cane" is gone it's Christmas. We do the colors of Christmas poem and make paper chains of the colors in the poem and practice our color words, and patterns, we make ornaments, do some lacing stars and stockings, We make peppermint pudding, we do gingerbread color by numbers, we string paper lights with our names on them in the colors of Christmas, we make a manger scene and a fireplace scene. We make simple gifts for our parents and cards and our own wrapping paper. We also do a Christmas concert for which we practice a lot

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2009

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 28, 2009

9. imat

imat Rookie

Nov 28, 2009

10. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Nov 29, 2009

You guys are so together!
    This week coming up I'll be doing "Let's settle back into our routines"! I have a few holiday things planned, but mostly I'll keep it simple and give the kids time to settle back in.
    I'll do gingerbread for at least one week and winter holidays for one. We'll make gingerbread and various gingerbread boy projects. We'll make ornaments, string popcorn for outside, learn sons, and wrap presents. I don't have firm plans yet.

We're out on the 18th so I only have 3 weeks to plan for.

11. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 29, 2009

This is my first year in K, but it seems a lot of the ladies at my school do something with the gingerbread man story, so I'll most likely follow suit. :)

12. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 29, 2009

Alice - I love it! This is pretty similar to what I will be telling my kindergarten kids.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 29, 2009

I'm doing Bells this week, then holiday-related stuff the following 2. I think. I need to double-check with one student that they celebrate Christmas... or, at least, that trees and Santa are OK. :)

14. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Nov 30, 2009

I typically focus on Holiday traditions around the world. We are doing a week on the Gingerbread Man this year. The other 2 weeks I devote to Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and other multicultural traditions including Christmas.

15. missnaebay

missnaebay Rookie

Dec 3, 2009

i am doing the same thing this year :eek: lol