December Sensory Table Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by BHSHockeyMom62, Dec 1, 2006.

1. BHSHockeyMom62

BHSHockeyMom62 Rookie

Dec 1, 2006

Hi Everyone,

I am becoming brain dead!!! I have been teaching for 22 years (15 out of those 22 I have been running a family child care) When you have children for 4 consecutive years you do become brain dead for ideas! I need help for ideas of what to put in my sensory table for the month of December. I change my table each week so I need 3 ideas. I had a great month last month with ideas and this month....... I just can't think of anything (besides the packing peanuts LOL)

Any ideas anyone???

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2006

Garland/ tinsel, plastic or wooden ornaments, I would say snow, but could get messy, wrapping paper, bows, what about mittens, gloves, hats ( could do in Jan). The other one I was thinking but could get sticky & messy is the powder to make hot chocolate.

4. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Dec 1, 2006

I have white flour in mine right now with a few cars to drive in the "snow". Next week I will have the insta-snow stuff you can get from http://www.stevespanglerscience.com (I'm in Florida, otherwise I would use real snow if I had it). In January I make chuncks of ice with tupperware dishes, put the chuncks in the sensory table with plastic arctic animals.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 1, 2006

6. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Dec 1, 2006

Mine has a ton of jingle bells (400ish) in it, with magnet wands, horsehoe magnets, pipe cleaner for stringing patterns, etc. I do recommend a liner of white towel, or cotton batting in the table, since the bells banging back into to table can get annoying. :)

I'm going to make "clean mud" next.

I have some of the insta-snow, but made a small batch and found it really sticky and that it got on everything! Any suggestions how to keep it cleaner? I made some this summer, I put out wash clothes by the sensory table, but they only seem to move the stuff around, it required a full hand washing to get the stuff off.

7. Myname

Myname Comrade

Dec 2, 2006

How about pine cones?

8. jlj

jlj Devotee

Dec 2, 2006

I've been in the class room for 28 years, I know exactly what you mean! Hope these help!
    Rice- colored green (place rice in zip lock bag, add a few drops of green food coloring, mix, add more color until shade you want, let dry and it's ready)
    Various colors and textures of ribbons and bows.
    Smell bottles- cinnamon,vanilla,peppermint,ginger,nutmeg,cloves, etc. - could also have pictures to match with scents
    Cinnamon sticks- rub over sand paper
    Christmas tree- you can usually get some small cuttings from tree lots.
    Have fun!

9. cokelady

cokelady Rookie

Dec 2, 2006

Using Shaving cream, it will dissolve when you play with it, and it wont stain clothes. Maybe you could use jello pudding, play dough homemade add glitter or rice to your playdough.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Dec 5, 2006

How old are your children? My sensory table is so boring! I really need to spice it up.

11. cokelady

cokelady Rookie

Dec 6, 2006

I teach 3 &4 yrs olds, and you can use all this, with a watchful, eye they dont try to eat anything....I try not to put anything in my sensory table smaller than a quarter..

12. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Dec 9, 2006

I use packing peanuts or the little bubble like stryfoam that they also use for packing. Not really messy and easy to clean off the floor. :angel:

13. msjustice

msjustice Rookie

Dec 14, 2006

my kids favorite thing is wrapping presents...i just brought some empty boxes, scrap paper, scissors, and tape. they wrap and unwrap all day long. Also colored damp sand with stuff hidden in it, clean mud (toilet paper, soap, water), and you could try winter items such as pinecones, pine needles..etc..