Dec. 2 unofficial RICA test results

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by dangerm0use, Jan 5, 2007.

1. dangerm0use

dangerm0use Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

i PASSed (walked out the room feeling like i did):D .... yay. honestly, the test wasn't difficult.

for those who took it, how did you do?

3. MyGoldieBeans

MyGoldieBeans New Member

Jan 5, 2007

I passed too! I walked out of there not even feeling as if I just tested...Not worth the sweat and tears to fret over this test...If your in a teacher credential program you should feel prepared for this. The only study guide I browsed through was James Zarrillo's book "Ready for RICA", the book was recommened by a professor so I got it and followed the book recommendations of first reading Ch.3-10, and then focus on other chapters if time allows...I studied for 2 nights briefly and successfully passed. Maybe it was just luck...
    I highly suggest "Ready for RICA" for those preparing for the test.

Good luck to all of you who are awaiting your scores and test!

4. ambenico

ambenico Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

I also passed the RICA, and I have never sat in a Credential Program classroom! I am starting the Credential Program at National University on Monday! With all these teacher exams out of the way, I can finally relax and just focus on the Credential Program. I survived the exam by using the highest degree of common sense my brain could muster, backed by well-structured and coherent essays. In each question, I placed myself in front of the students, and I think this helped me.

Congratulations to all who passed. Do they have exams in the Credential Program or is it just take-home essays?

5. MyGoldieBeans

MyGoldieBeans New Member

Jan 5, 2007

Congrats...Yes, this test has alot to do with common sense and placing yourself in the specific situation...I have no idea what the program at the National University consist of, but based on my experience, there were no "pen and paper exams". The credential program will deal with case studies focusing on ELD, special ed., and understanding of demographics in CA. You might be required to do CTC Task 1-4 in your program, which is used in many, but not all programs. This will eloborate on what you will be learning already. Great job on getting all the test out of the way!

6. dangerm0use

dangerm0use Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

@ ambenico:

credential programs only require you to

1) pass CBEST
    2) pass CSET
    3) pass RICA
    4) fulfill the US govt requirement (test or college course). take the test. its EASY

7. ambenico

ambenico Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

Thanks MyGoldieBeans for the heads up on the credential program. The "no pen and paper exams" sounds PRETTY GOOD to me! Congratulations on passing RICA! Are you through with the Credential Prog? What's next for you and others on this forum?

8. MyGoldieBeans

MyGoldieBeans New Member

Jan 5, 2007

I will complete my credential program on Jan. 19, 2007. I opted for an internship and I am awaiting my last visit from my instructor for the final observation. It has gone by quick...

9. athomp

athomp Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

I passed it too! Such a relief! But I have to say this test wasn't bad at all. To me, the CSET was harder. At least with RICA, the material is very concentrated. You know what to expect on the test.

I would also like to recommend "Beating Them All" by Chris Boosalis. That's the only book I used and it helped me. In addition, I worked with the author. If you have the money ($200), he will tutor you for the test. Chris is a very nice guy, patient, he will work with you, and he knows his sh!t. :)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2007

Well done, dangerm0use, MyGoldieBeans, ambenico, and athomp!

11. CSETCSETCSET

CSETCSETCSET Rookie

Jan 6, 2007

I finally passed too. It took me three times but I passed. I am done with all those exams. THANK GOD AND ALL OF YOU.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2007

High five, CSETCSETCSET: don't forget to celebrate.

13. CSETCSETCSET

CSETCSETCSET Rookie

Jan 6, 2007

TeacherGroupie,
    Thank you for all your wonderful advice and thank you for always being so positve. Best wishes to you for 2007 and best of luck to all the ones taking these exams.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2007

You're welcome, CSETCSETCSET.

There are people in the world who get motivated by being told they're not good enough, but they don't tend to go into education, especially K-12 education - and that's probably a very, very good thing. Most of us do much better by thinking positive.

15. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jan 6, 2007

Congrats!!!

First of all, Congratulations!!!!
    I read your post and I found it to be most helpful. I am using the Zarillo book as well as some material I recieved from classes.. Just curious how did you study..strategies...did you use flash cards to help you remember terms? I am taking the Feb 10th test and well, I'm not nervous yet, but am getting a little antsy...that's normal for me though...take care:thanks:

16. athomp

athomp Rookie

Jan 6, 2007

I would look at as many case studies as possible. And be sure ot look at the practice test at the official site.

I don't know much about the Zarillo book, but the "Beating Them All" book has several good test taking strategies for the essay parts.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2007

Rossi & Schipper's Case Studies book (that's not the full title) is pretty good too - the second edition was, anyway. I understand it came out in a new edition over the summer but it doesn't seem to have hit the Barnes & Nobles in these parts.

18. MyGoldieBeans

MyGoldieBeans New Member

Jan 11, 2007

Study strategies

First of all, use the RICA website and print out the sample test they provide. This will cue you in on the types of questions and provide you the rational for the correct answer. Pick up on the educational terms they use so you can transfer that into your own writing. Obviously they liked the fancy educational term in the first place... The Zarrio book has directions of how to use the book effectively, and I suggest using their hints. It will minimize the amount of time you study and you will focus on areas that are scored higher. I did not use flash cards, but I did print out a cheat sheet that focused on terms I wanted to use to add some jazz. This test really has alot to do with common sense in the classroom...Just place yourself in the classroom and let the answer flow. You can also peek back at the short answer questions to provide feedback for the case study. You do have tools infront of you to aid you. You can always look back at the multiple choie of the short answers to help you. I did however do the case study first because the question I received was very similar to one I had studied already...
    If you are using Zarrio, I suggest reading one chapter per night, it's not alot of reading but it is repeat information- which helps you retain!

If you need anything else, please let me know!

(Just curious how did you study..strategies...did you use flash cards to help you remember terms?)

19. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Mar 9, 2007

Depressed

:( Well, I just found out that I missed the rica by 2 points. I am so depressed right now...it really sucks! I am so tired of taking all of these tests. I know it is for my own good, but really would love to just be done with all of this.. I was looking forward to just being able to focus on getting ready to look for a job after my student teaching as job posting are now coming out..Now, I will have to take it again in April, which is not far away and then, spend another 2 hours driving to the place and 4 hours taking the test.....it really sucks...Any helpful news on how to study the second time will be appreciated. I used the Zarillo and Case Study book to help me out...

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2007

That's a hard place to be, WonderW05; please take good care of yourself over the weekend.

The official score report should contain some information that can help you figure out what needs to happen next time you take this thing.

21. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Mar 9, 2007

okay! I got Mad, Sad, and Glad, all in the pants I got mad in..but I picked myself up went to Starbucks, and had a java chip frap, went to the movies......AND.....ready to hit the books again. I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP! I am more determined to conquer this animal....I haven't come this far to just give in to something that I know I will pass. It made me realize today how we can make ourselves feel beatin down and made to feel so much like a failure. I am not going to make myself feel that way. I am a good teacher and for goodness sakes....I will succeed! Okay, so who wants to get their hands dirty and start some practicing before the next big test in April?????? I'm down....TeacherGroupie..ready for some tutoring online......??
    SO,
    I am going to have a glass of champagne tomorrow to celebrate my gmas 82 birthday!!! and me only missing by 2 points! That's pretty close...to look on the bright side of things :O) Happy studyin'

22. Jbrid

Jbrid Rookie

Mar 10, 2007

That's a great attitude, Wonder! I am sure your determination will pay off. We are behind you!