Dec. 2 test scores

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by katrinkakat, Dec 18, 2006.

1. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2006

On the CBEST website it stated that unofficial scores for Math and Reading would be available today, December 18th, and the essay scores not until January 2nd. But trying to access scores today,
    it said no scores will be available until January 2nd. That's odd.
    Anyone else?

3. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Dec 18, 2006

I'm pretty sure they'll post the unofficial scores for math and reading today. I believe the deadline is 5 pm, so they're probably just not up yet.

4. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2006

Hi,
    I just received my scores via email! The email said that the
    scores for the writing portion will be available Jan. 2nd on the website.

5. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Dec 18, 2006

I got mine too. How did you do?

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 18, 2006

I got 71 and 72 in math. I wasn't worried about this test too much.
    The CSET is the one that's intimidating to me! That's next! :)
    How about you?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 18, 2006

Fine scores, there, katrinkakat! (The maximum is 80...) Don't forget to celebrate!

Those scores bode well for CSET: bear in mind that half of Subtest II is math (and the actual skills aren't that much more advanced) and that all the subtests rest on a foundation of reading comprehension.

8. brookerjean

brookerjean Rookie

Dec 18, 2006

Nicely done! I got an 80 in reading and a 70 in math. (I was a bit relieved about the math section as I've never been that great with numbers.) Now on to the CSET!

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2006

Wow! 100% in reading. Great. See you in the CSET forums?

Thanks for the encouraging words teachergroupie. :)

10. jeiiybean17

jeiiybean17 New Member

Dec 20, 2006

Congrats to everyone who has passed!!

I passed the 2 sections but am waiting for the writing...which i am extremely nervous about. I spend way too much time on the math and reading and didn't leave enough time for the essays.

Which leads me to my question.... i need a 37 to pass.... i wrote 3 paragraphs...an introduction with a thesis i supported the thesis and ended with a conclusion..this was for both essays....what do you guys think my chances are for passing????

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 20, 2006

If you supported your thesis with concrete evidence and you didn't make any major mistakes, and if your essay reads like the essay of someone who could have written better with a little more time, your chances are fairly good, jellybean17.

12. jeiiybean17

jeiiybean17 New Member

Dec 24, 2006

so... if i had one good example and they think that if i had more time i could have come up with more to support my essay then i should be alright?

I only need a 37..but is it true that if you receive a 2 on either of the essays then you will not receive a passing score?? meaning i CANNOT get a 37???

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 24, 2006

It's important to note that each essay is read by two scorers: your raw score is the sum of those FOUR readings.

If each of your four essay raw scores is a 2, then you won't pass. I'm tolerably certain, though, that it's possible to get a 2 on one reading of one essay and pass, if the other three scores are high enough.

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2006

I got an email regarding my writing score today. It was 41. That doesnt sound very good, but at least I passed. Writing is my strong suit, too. hmm? Anyone else get their scores?

15. ElementaryJane

ElementaryJane Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

katrinkakat, I recall reading somewhere that as the essays are scored 1 or 2 for fails and 3 or 4 for passes, a score of 3 from every examiner will give you writing score of 41. So while 41 out of 80 might not sound flattering, it means you solidly passed each essay according to all four examiners.

Your total of 184 is a really good pass, and this is a PASS/FAIL test. Beyond this point it does not matter if you got the bare 123 or the full 240. Your reading and math scores are really good, and the writing score is, actually, about equivalent to them because the writing section only has 2 passing scores.

Go celebrate!!

(I am, I passed, too!)

16. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2006

Thanks

Ok, I think I was figuring that 80 was 4 points from each so 40 must be 2 points from each scorer, so that didn't sound very good to me. Congratulations on passing. Are you taking the CSET next?
    I have been studying like crazy for that one. I will try for all 3 in March (or May if I dont feel ready) ~ Katie

17. ElementaryJane

ElementaryJane Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

No, I'm not taking the cset. I was thinking about it, but it was just for the heck of it. I am a teacher in a private middle school, and I don't need to pass the csets for my job. I was going to do the cbest, csets in two individual subjects and a GRE all within 2 months. Then I got a reality check and decided that the learning was more important than the passing, for me. I'm lucky I have that option.

However, I am studying the materials because I believe that as a teacher it's good to be a student, too. Taking the cbest was great because I have students taking SATs and I can now talk from personal experience as to why the various strategies are recommended. It was invaluable for me to NOT get 240 on the cbest, because I of course thought I would (big grin). I can hopefully help my students retain a level head about these types of tests, why they have to do them and how far they are from the "be all and end all" of their ability.

Best of luck to you (and everyone) with the csets.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 29, 2006

It's fairly common for people who are skilled writers to pass standardized-exam essays but with relatively low scores. The reason for this is that it's not easy to measure quantitatively how well a skilled writer writes, so standardized-exam essay scoring instead looks for deviations from The Five-Paragraph Formal Essay format, or something very like it.

Some people claim that the five-paragraph essay format stifles creativity. They're absolutely right. But, boring as it is, it's exactly the right tool for letters home to parents, IEP reports, and the like, when creativity is a good deal less important than are clarity and speed.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 29, 2006

ElementaryJane, I hadn't seen your post when I was responding to katrinkakat's. I like your approach. Test scores - by teachers or by kids - are means to an end, not ends in themselves. The real point is acquiring skills and knowledge.

20. ElementaryJane

ElementaryJane Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

TeacherGroupie, absolutely! It really concerns me how wound up eleven year old kids get about their grades. That's not natural, and it's not conducive to a long term learning environment (which is what we as teachers are trying to provide).

I have to ask the class to remember that I am here to teach them, not to grade them. Then they all chant our "mantra": "Your job is to teach; my job is to learn", we tell a few jokes, relax, and get back to the real business at hand.

Testing provides feedback for teachers, only. It tells us what has been learned and what needs to be gone over. The more we do to break the perceived nexus between low test scores and low self esteem, the better.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 29, 2006

Well, not so sure that testing is feedback only for teachers - it can prove a useful wakeup call for students as well - but we need to be teaching mental resilience: the fine art of deciding that the answer can be found rather than that it can't.