Debbie Diller's Practice with Purpose Centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jem, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 17, 2008

I just got Debbie Diller's Spaces and Places last night. I read through it all while my dh watched the debate AGAIN (aaaah-I have it memorized now!), but didn't learn a whole of new stuff. I'm super interested in her Practice with Purpose book, which talks about literacy centers for older students. I do not, however, want to read through it again in one night and realized there's not much in there that I didn't know.

Does anyone use her centers for third-sixth grade? Can anyone just TELL me what they are?

Or even the Daily Five? That book looked interesting as well. But I'm really much more of a summery kind of girl. :p

3. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Oct 17, 2008

centers I used in 3rd grade from PwP or at least are a derivative of what I read there...

Making Words- Secret word and kids try to make as many words as they can from that using the dictionary to check their spelling. (I have 3 different dictionaries available to check words in.)
    poetry center- 1. Poems are available for the children to read and discuss and do activities with
    2. i have a bunch of those magnet words for the kids to create poems from which they then copy down to keep (and display if they want) the kids can add words they dont find by using postit notes
    ABC center- Whatever science or ss topic we are supposed to be working on I try to incorporate here. I have a chart with the ABC's one letter per block. The kids write words on sticky notes that begin with that letter that has to do with the topic assigned to the chart for the time frame. (Ie A is for Aztec, I is for Inca...) We then settle on one word per block. Then the kids do research from a bunch of books on the topics (note this takes a lot of teaching of HOW to research and use their own words.) They write a paragraph about that them illustrate. Over all this center lasts for 6-9 weeks depending on the topic.

Response Writing station- Students do book reviews or respond to specific questions about a book they have read or a story we read as a class.

Anyway those are a few of the ones I have used in the past, she also have vocab stations newspaper station , buddy reading, listening, and many others.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 17, 2008

I have Practice with Purpose. It was actually given to all the teachers here...it's meant to be a huge resource, but I hardly ever use it. It looks good - I just never have time! I didn't know about the Spaces book. What's that about?

5. katenar

katenar Cohort

Oct 18, 2008

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 18, 2008

Jem - two things...

You can get books like PwP through the public library LINK+ system. That's where I got it and, like you, didn't end up wanting to buy it (of course I really didn't buy it).

I did buy Daily 5, because it was not available by LINK+, and I am using lots of it. Examples:
    - Reading with Someone
    - choosing a partner
    - checking for understanding
    - You Read/I Read
    - Coaching or Time? (This one was the biggest hit with my students.)

The book is at school, or I'd tell you more. I'm pm'ing you with something that might help.

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

Oct 19, 2008

What is the public library link + system?

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 19, 2008

LINK+ is a free service which allows some Public Library patrons to borrow books that are not available at the their local Public Library. LINK+ is a cooperative project among many academic and public libraries in California.

Member Libraries:
    These are the libraries that currently participate in LINK+. As more libraries continue to join LINK+, keep watching for new members.

Alameda County Public
    Alliant International Univ
    American Jewish Univ
    Azusa Pacific Univ
    Berkeley Public Library
    Biola Univ
    Berkeley Public
    Claremont Colleges
    Contra Costa County Library
    Cal Poly Pomona
    Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
    CSU Dominguez Hills
    CSU Fresno
    CSU East Bay
    CSU Long Beach
    CSU Stanislaus
    Hayward Public
    LaSierra Univ
    Livermore Public Library
    Loma Linda Univ
    Loyola Marymount Univ
    Mount St. Mary's College
    Mountain View Public
    Occidental College

Pacific Union College
    Pleasanton Public
    Point Loma Nazarene Univ
    Richmond Public Library
    Riverside Public
    Sacramento Public
    Saint Mary's College
    San Diego State Univ
    San Francisco Public
    San Francisco State Univ
    San Jose Public
    San Jose State Univ
    Santa Clara City Public
    Santa Clara Univ
    Sonoma State Univ
    Sunnyvale Public
    UC Riverside
    UC Santa Cruz
    Univ of LaVerne
    Univ of Nevada Las Vegas
    Univ of Nevada Reno
    Univ of San Francisco
    West Valley-Mission College
    Whittier College

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2008

Can you tell me more about these 2... thanks!

10. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Oct 19, 2008

11. katenar

katenar Cohort

Oct 19, 2008

Great website and resources! Thanks for sharing. I remember seeing it before but could never figure out which site I saw it on.

12. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 19, 2008

Hi loves2teach,
    For You Read/I Read, the students site "EEKK" (elbow to elbow, knee to knee - next to each other with the books in view of each partner). This can be done with one or two books. Use two books especially if the partners are at different levels of reading fluency. For two books, one child reads a page aloud, then holds her spot while the other child reads aloud a page from his book. They go back and forth between the two books. It sounds confusing, but the students seem to enjoy hearing different stories even with the breaks between pages. For one book, have listen while the other reads. When the page is finished, the listener paraphrases what they heard. "I heard you read that ..." and the reader acknowledges if there was understanding or misunderstanding. This one is actually called "Check for Understanding" and there's a checkmark made of paper the listener holds.

For "Coaching or Time?" one kid reads aloud to the other and if they get to an unfamiliar word, the listener slowly and silently counts to three and then asks, "Do you want coaching or time?" If the reader wants coaching, there is a little "Reading Coach Ideas" card (like, Look at the Pictures for a Clue, Stop and Reread That, What COULD Make Sense Here?, and Let's sound that out together). If the kid asks for time, then the listener waits and lets the reader figure it out.

One of my students took the coaching card home and taught her mom to ask her Coaching or Time she liked it so much.