Debbie Diller's new book

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Aug 8, 2008.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 8, 2008

Spaces and Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy Has anyone purchased this and read it yet? I just got mine today, and it looks like it's going to be a great tool! I'd love to see/hear/read what others think about it as well.

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2008

Oooh. I just finally ordered her Literacy Work Stations book since I've had it checked out of the library for months. I should have tacked that new one on to my order!

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 8, 2008

I just got Making the Most of Small Groups and Literacy Work Stations, too! In the past 2 weeks, I have ordered and received eight books! I'll never get them all read, but I hope to find help as I can get through them. I'm starting with Spaces and Places because I am currently frantically trying to figure out how to set up my very first classroom - for first grade!

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

I just got it in the mail yesterday from Amazon. It is FANTASTIC!!!! Great pictures and explanations to go with them! I highly recommend it.

6. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Aug 8, 2008

You will LOVE the book! It has so many fabulous ideas and pictures to go along with everything. She also has a great section at the back that is about how to pack up your room at the end of the year.

7. mdee

mdee Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Question

:confused:Is this book geared to Kindergarten and 1st grade? Or would it apply to upper grades as well?

8. Becky123abc

Becky123abc Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I can't find the book anywhere online in stock! It must be really good to have sold out so quickly!
    Becky

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2008

mdee, I'm honestly not sure, since I passed out before I could read any last night!

Becky123abc - order it from Amazon. They estimated that my ship date would be September 15, but I received it yesterday! Oh, and order something else with it, so you can take advantage of the free shipping - I already had Ms. Diller's other books, so I bought The Daily Five, which I plan to read maybe during Thanksgiving break, lol!

10. cajunteacher1

cajunteacher1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

How does your co-teacheres have their room PWhatley?

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2008

I haven't seen them set up yet. There are six of us in first grade, and three of the teachers haven't been there except for the grade-level meeting Thursday (although they may have been earlier this summer when I didn't have access). The other two were mostly working on their door decorations yesterday, at least as far as I could see.

One thing, though: all of my co-teachers have Monday - Wednesday of next week to set up. Due to mandatory inservices and a day of Dibels training, I don't. Thursday, we will all be in class all day learning about our new reading curriculum, Harcourt Storytown. Friday, we have a mandatory 1/2 day school meeting, then are given the 2nd half of the day to work on our classrooms.

Luckily, my P. is keeping the school open to teachers until 7 pm each night, and next weekend it will be open all day on Saturday and Sunday as well. After my classes end at 3, I'll be heading to my classroom (and changing into grungies in which I can work!).

Right now, my class is definitely in the "worse before it gets better" stage, lol!

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2008

cajunteacher1

Where do you teach?

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2008

Seeing this makes me want to dig out my one Debbie Diller book. :) It's excellent to know she's written a new book, though.

14. cajunteacher1

cajunteacher1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

In EBR